cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My build -- first since 2001

krakenfiend
Level 7
I just got done building and doing the initial testing on my new computer. It was an interesting experience especially since I have been out of the PC building loop for 11 years. I wanted to some benchmarking and OCing especially for some bragging rites among friends as well as crush whatever games I feel like loading up...main thing is to be able to efficiently run the proprietary software my company has that has really high CPU and RAM usage. So I did some research and some pricing and I managed to build the following:

Case: Rosewill Thor V2
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel i7-3930K
RAM: G Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH
PSU: Seasonic X-1250
GPU: 2x VisionTek ATI 6970's in crossfire
SSD: 240 GB Corsair Force GT
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Optical: 2x Sony Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 se2011
Monitor: 3x ASUS VS248H-P (Eyefinity)

It was fun putting this together. The Thor V2 case has lots of room for stuff and is easy to work in/with. I'm not that happy with the case fans that come with it though. They are quiet but their CFM is not the best. I'm probably going to replace the top exhaust fan and the side intake fan with a *few* Noctua 140 mm fans. Also I need to upgrade my mouse and keyboard since i'm still using the ones from my 2001 computer. Probably going with the Logitek G9X mouse and the Microsoft sidewinder X4 keyboard. Well tell me what you guys think or what you might have done differently. My major sticking point was the graphics cards...I was really leaning towards NVidia cards (a pair of 580's in SLI would be nice but the $$$ was way too steep) but I found a really really good deal on the 6970's as they were/are being phased out but should still be really good for a while (right?).

krakenfiend
1 REPLY 1

InnervateD
Level 10
Glad you had fun building your new computer. Post some pics let us see your new rig.