cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard thermistor possible faulty?

Arkader
Level 9
Hello
If someone know if this is normal, temp 5 is not showing any temp.
As i work with iPhones i know what are this thermistors but i was unable to detect them on my Asus motherboard, they are possible having other package or placed in special locations on motherboard, a schematic would be useful.
I have observed this long time ago after i first installed the motherboard, was thinking maybe i have touch with screwdriver during assembling into case, not sure cause investigation under microscope did not reveal any damaged part, have observed only nostuff components from factory.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Life is a game in which you are the main protagonist.
20 REPLIES 20

Arkader
Level 9
I have take a photo with thermal camera, will have a look again when i will replace the case fans with new ones and try detect this thermistors locations to see for what components/functions they detect heat.

Retired
Not applicable
is the gun pointed at the motherboard chipset heatsink or the PCB of the GPU?

it is thermal interference in the image, use different angles

Temp sensor 5 can very well be the 2 pin temp sensor header on the motherboard (not connected)

Welcome to the forum...

Rockford wrote:
is the gun pointed at the motherboard chipset heatsink or the PCB of the GPU?

it is thermal interference in the image, use different angles

Temp sensor 5 can very well be the 2 pin temp sensor header on the motherboard (not connected)

Welcome to the forum...

Yes that is pointed to chipset heatsynk.
Then this Temp 5 is for sure that 2 pin conn because i doubt i damaged anything on the motherboard.
Thank you for clarification!

BigJohnny
Level 13
unfortunately I dont believe there is a catalog of what is what on 3/4 of the temp sensors.

Retired
Not applicable
The T-sensor header is not named in software (its J Doe), its however named in bios (should be)
It can be named in AI Suit also

This is not a big thing to lose sleep over seriously, you can connect a 10k? probe to the header if you have one, and you should get a reading in Bios and software

Some folks is using that header for monitoring water temperature (custom water cooling)

Davrada
Level 7
My Temp Sensor 5 is acting wonky, too. I believe it is under the Chipset Heatsink, which incidentally is under my video card heat vent. My sensor was giving me intermittant values of 0, and 127. I thought it was buggy but then my video card must have been failing and caught fire right above that heatsink. I had SLI, now I moved my other video card in that same spot and I'm getting those readings again, while running intensive gaming. The video cards are about 5 years old.

Davrada wrote:
My Temp Sensor 5 is acting wonky, too. I believe it is under the Chipset Heatsink, which incidentally is under my video card heat vent. My sensor was giving me intermittant values of 0, and 127. I thought it was buggy but then my video card must have been failing and caught fire right above that heatsink. I had SLI, now I moved my other video card in that same spot and I'm getting those readings again, while running intensive gaming. The video cards are about 5 years old.

This is most likely that thermal 2 finger connector, i was getting the same as you weird readings and this is because the fingers are exposed.
You should not worry about it, as i do myself.

Arkader
Level 9
I have did finish my custom loop long time ago, have added to T-Sensor the thermistor but it did not solve the MB Temp #5 it still shows as 0C this could mean one of the 2 things.
1. the thermistor is Nostuff from factory, this mean in Apple schematics that the component is not soldered in that place.
2. the thermistor could be damaged and must be soldered new one.
Something tells me this is #1 case because other people have it at 0C of temp.

Other issue I have now is that AIO fan connector does not show any data after Fan tuning, I wonder what can be the issue (?) I try to test Fan and the Pump but nothing.
Does someone have any idea of what can be wrong with the connector or this is normal for it to not show Fan data?

xeromist
I vaguely remember there being a Q-fan setting in the BIOS related to AIOs and pump headers. Basically only one setting works at a time. Might be related to that but sorry I can't seem to find a reference.

Or, it just needs to be changed to PWM mode. Could be that.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…