cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than two thunderbolt monitors?

Pete165
Level 7
I'm running the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO. I need the capability to use a few small 12" touchscreen monitors. I really need at least 3 monitors, possibly 4.

My problem arises from the fact that i need to be able to run each monitor off of a single cable each. The monitors i have are capable of receiving power and data from a single thunderbolt cable (instead of separate hdmi and power cords). There are two thunderbolt 4 ports on the motherboard, and I've tried a thunderbolt hub from "Pluggable", but no matter what I can only get two of the monitors running at a time. I've tried every combination including plugging one monitor into one of the motherboard thunderbolt ports, and the other two monitors into the hub. And also tried daisy-chaining two monitors directly without the hub. Is there just a hard limit of two TB monitors for the mobo?

Edit- i guess the monitors aren't technically 'thunderbolt', but support DP Alt Mode..? I don't truly understand the differences...
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
DP alt mode is basically just a normal displayport connection using a different wire. It must conform to the same restrictions as if you were using a regular DP cable. Chaining is not supported for DP, so it's not supported here. When the port is operating in DP mode only one display can be connected. I'm actually surprised it worked through the hub but you'd still be limited to a single display connection.

In order to do what you're asking with those displays you'd probably need to buy a Thunderbolt dock that has multiple HDMI/DP display outputs and connect the monitors to that.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:

In order to do what you're asking with those displays you'd probably need to buy a Thunderbolt dock that has multiple HDMI/DP display outputs and connect the monitors to that.

I wouldn't be able to use the touchscreen functionality with only HDMI, would I? I'm guessing i'd also have to plug the usb in.

Thanks for the DP ALT mode info. that makes it more clear!

The adapter you are looking for is juts non-existent.

You need an adapter for USB+DP to USB-C.
Take a look on this list and on the options, maybe you find something fitting like one of the VR cables or the WACOM stuff: https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2020/05/10/bi-directional-usbc-dp-cables/#dp-1-4-usb-c-cables

Pete165 wrote:
I wouldn't be able to use the touchscreen functionality with only HDMI, would I? I'm guessing i'd also have to plug the usb in.

Thanks for the DP ALT mode info. that makes it more clear!

Yes, a full dock should also have sufficient USB ports for the touch interface. I've no idea whether it will behave with multiple identical input devices. I guess you've already tested it with the two and it works OK though.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…