cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory advice on Rog Maximus XI hero & i9 9900k!?

djmarks
Level 9
Hi alll. First off, I got to say thank you to all here for such an informative, helpfull and friendly site!
I'm now doubly happy I bought ASUS ROG kit - firstly cause the kit is amazing, but secondly because of the great support available here! Thank you again!

So, my dilemma is - I've recently bought the Rog Maximus XI Hero board and an i9 9900k processor, but I'm still not sure about what memory to put in it.
After reading Arne Saknussemm's post in this thread, I'm even more wary about the memory to buy.
I've been looking at the Corsair Red Vengeance LPX DDR4 4333MHz Memory Kit 2x8GB PC4-34600 (4333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 19-26-26-46, XMP 2.0, 1.4V
as using the formula in Arne's post (19/4333*2000=8.76) this memory seems pretty damn fast, even if the latency is 19.
Maximum speed support on the i9 9900k processor is DDR4-2666 so will I see any benefit using memory speeds this fast or what is a better option to go for?
And will the motherboard cope with it too?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
djmarks wrote:
After reading Arne Saknussemm's post in this thread, I'm even more wary about the memory to buy.

I wouldn't listen to a word that bloke says...

Have a read of the build guide in my sig...especially the part about RAM

Maybe get a 4133 Cas 17 kit and try that...maybe 3600 Cas15

If you want to go with highest "supported" frequencies...I'd advise to get RAM from somewhere with a flexible returns policy 😉

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I wouldn't listen to a word that bloke says...

Have a read of the build guide in my sig...especially the part about RAM

Maybe get a 4133 Cas 17 kit and try that...maybe 3600 Cas15

Cheers for reply Arne!
I have read, and re-read your guide mate - truly love it!!
Price is a big consideration for me unfortunately - if I had the funds I'd love to go for a 4133 Cas 17 kit or 3600 Cas15 but. after buying all the rest of the kit, my pc slush fund is drying up 🙂

And after re-reading your guide, I'm thinking of increasing memory size and not worrying so much about speed.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 MHz Memory Kit 2x 16GB CAS 16-20-20-38
or
Corsair 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz Memory Kit 2x16GB CAS 15-17-17-35
or
Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz RAM/Memory Kit 2x 16GB CAS 16-18-18-36
or to marry better with processor max memory speed -
Corsair 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz CAS 16-18-18-35

Would all these work well in my system?

djmarks wrote:
after buying all the rest of the kit, my pc slush fund is drying up 🙂

Yeah, I hear ya...DDR4 has been dropping but not to any reasonable level...the cartels are keeping it at eye-watering levels still

3200 is a nice frequency sweet spot....CPU memory controller shouldn't have a problem running that

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah, I hear ya...DDR4 has been dropping but not to any reasonable level...the cartels are keeping it at eye-watering levels still

3200 is a nice frequency sweet spot....CPU memory controller shouldn't have a problem running that

Many thanks Arne for your advice!!! Greatly appreciated!