cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) Display Issues with EVGA 980 GTX

tom808
Level 7
At initial build of this system I encountered some issues getting the GPU to work. Last week, it seemed to stop working after I let the machine go into hibernation/sleep mode. Some jiggery pokery in the BIOS and Windows 10 and eventually the GPU was detected and started working again. However, upon hibernation/sleep two evenings ago, my GPU display stopped working again and I had to use the on-board VGA, again. While in Windows with 'Microsoft Basic Display Adpater' (I tried to load Legacy drivers) showing in Device Manager, (and some Windows update that happened yesterday), Windows suddenly recognised the GPU and installed it! It was no longer 'Hidden' in device manager. So, yesterday, the GPU was working fine, again. I was gaming all day.

Today, booting up the PC, with no changes, the GPU is not detected again. No display. Had to resort to VGA. I've had no luck getting the system to detect the GPU at boot. Things I've done:

- Updated the BIOS
- Cleared the CMOS, twice.
- Loaded Optimised Defaults (a few times)
- Enabled CSM in BIOS
- Set primary display mode to PCIE in BIOS (from Auto)
- Disabled Fast Boot
- Put the card in a different PCI slot - no difference
- Re-installed Windows
- Disabled on-board graphics and connected monitor and TV only to the GPU (this seemed to work last week when I was having similar issues at initial build, but not this time)

Everything else seems to be working just fine. I'm even able to play games through the VGA, but at lot lower settings. So I'm wondering, what problem does this motherboard have with my GTX 980?? GPU Post in BIOS doesn't recognise it at all but I think this only works for ASUS cards. How can I know if the motherboard is picking it up at all at the moment? The GPU is currently 'Hidden' in my Device Manager - does that mean it's connected?

All recommendations welcome.

Spec:

Maximus XI Hero 390z (wifi)
i9 9900K
EVGA gtx980 Classified
Corsair Vengenace RGB Pro 3200Mhz
Samsung Pro 256GB SSD

Thanks,

Tom.
338 Views
14 REPLIES 14

RedSector73
Level 12
CSM has nothing to do with the problem.
Hidden device means no longer detected, but windows has drivers ready if it shows up again.
Any Asus board I have owned in the bios detects the graphics card regardless of the make. (example: gigabyte 2080ti is detected in my current m/b)

It is possible that power supply cables to the motherboard (above the CPU, to the left) or directly to the GPU are causing issue (have spares / modular psu could swap them out / make sure connected in the saddles firmly). But it does sound like evga 980 may have an issue. If you could try the graphics card in another system might confirm it's not the problem or the source of the issue.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
CSM has nothing to do with the problem.
Hidden device means no longer detected, but windows has drivers ready if it shows up again.
Any Asus board I have owned in the bios detects the graphics card regardless of the make. (example: gigabyte 2080ti is detected in my current m/b)

It is possible that power supply cables to the motherboard (above the CPU, to the left) or directly to the GPU are causing issue (have spares / modular psu could swap them out / make sure connected in the saddles firmly). But it does sound like evga 980 may have an issue. If you could try the graphics card in another system might confirm it's not the problem or the source of the issue.

Hope you find this of help.


Thanks for reply. Update: been trying all sorts last couple of days to get the mobo to detect the GPU but it's just not detecting it. I tried another card I have (gtx670) but this may be so old that I'm getting the same incompatibility issue. It too wasn't detected. I've checked the CPU now to make sure pins not bent etc. CPU is fine. RAM has been reseated. No difference. There were issues with 9 series cards and updates from Windows 8 to 10, but this isn't an OS issue, I think. I think it's a BIOS issue. 9 series cards had BIOS issues in regards to DisplayPort3+ and NVidia released a BIOS update program for it.

I really don't think it's a PSU issue as the fans work, they give a blow at post. Green light is on on top. I had been gaming with it for quite a few days before I got this issues. I've got a 850W PSU. And I'm not overclocking or anything.

The card could well have given up the ghost or is simply incompatible with the board. Weird how it doesn't show in BIOS at all.

It might just have given

Rule out Windows 10: (I doubt it is the problem)

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again.

if you get stuck in *loop (*greater than twice) of either of them them needing to repair/fix, this indicates the OS is unstable and unable to be properly repaired, and it's would be time to bite the bullet and consider *reset of the OS (*which may also fail) or a fresh install.


Check you are running the latest motherboard bios as this can stop windows updates
you can run [CMD] then [ver] to check but this is current version Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.535] 64 bit

RedSector73 wrote:
Rule out Windows 10: (I doubt it is the problem)

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again.

if you get stuck in *loop (*greater than twice) of either of them them needing to repair/fix, this indicates the OS is unstable and unable to be properly repaired, and it's would be time to bite the bullet and consider *reset of the OS (*which may also fail) or a fresh install.


Check you are running the latest motherboard bios as this can stop windows updates
you can run [CMD] then [ver] to check but this is current version Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.535] 64 bit


Ok, did both. Got no integrity errors or corruptions for either.83550

tom808 wrote:
Ok, did both. Got no integrity errors or corruptions for either.83550


Ok, so today I booted up the PC. Went into my HDD version of Windows. Suddenly...there's the card in Device Manager. I haven't touched the PC since last night. Simply switched it on this morning. Will be interesting to see if it's in the SSD version of Windows. And I'm not holding out that on re-boot or shutdown I'll have the same problems again, but wtf! Was there a Windows update or something?

tom808 wrote:
Ok, so today I booted up the PC. Went into my HDD version of Windows. Suddenly...there's the card in Device Manager. I haven't touched the PC since last night. Simply switched it on this morning. Will be interesting to see if it's in the SSD version of Windows. And I'm not holding out that on re-boot or shutdown I'll have the same problems again, but wtf! Was there a Windows update or something?


Booted into SSD drive version of Windows and no card. The SSD version of Windows has been updated with .NET Framework version 1909 (KB4533002) and (KB4530684). The version on HDD drive hasn't been updated with these. I'm wondering if these updates might be the issue.

tom808 wrote:
Booted into SSD drive version of Windows and no card. The SSD version of Windows has been updated with .NET Framework version 1909 (KB4533002) and (KB4530684). The version on HDD drive hasn't been updated with these. I'm wondering if these updates might be the issue.


Upon shutdown and re-boot the card is no longer being detected by either Windows version now. Very strange. Not sure why it was detected this morning on first boot but now, it's disappeared. It could be a power issue. Despite being an 850W power supply, it is pretty old. It's at least 8 years old. But why should it work for the first boot and then stop powering the card?

Odd behaviour, let's try changing out the CMOS battery with a new one and see if still persists. Sometimes they can cause very odd behaviours as they die.

You can stop worry about windows 10 causing this, it's most likely a hardware issue you have.

RedSector73 wrote:
Odd behaviour, let's try changing out the CMOS battery with a new one and see if still persists. Sometimes they can cause very odd behaviours as they die.

You can stop worry about windows 10 causing this, it's most likely a hardware issue you have.


Ok, I've bought and installed a new CMOS battery (good idea). Still no card... I may need a new PSU. I'm going to buy one anyway, this one's over 10 years old, at least...could a 'weak' or 'old' PSU cause this intermittant detection of the card?