cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme vs Formula vs Code vs Hero

SimplyQQ
Level 7
Hello,

I know there are multiple similar threads on the internet, and I must have read them all. However, I still cannot get a definite grip on what are the exact differences between these boards.

I want a board that will be put into a Meshify C case together with i9-9900k, 4x8Gb and RTX 2080 Ti eventually. Storage wise I'm going for 1x 970 PRO + 2x 970 EVOs. I'm not gonna do any crazy overclocking, nor watercooling, nor any RGB stuff, nothing fancy. I just want a MB which is best of the best regarding voltage regulation, component quality etc. My last built PC is still running 24/7 after 9 years, so I want this to be the same.

I don't care about the additional LAN chipset in Extreme/Formula, I don't have that speed cabling in the house.

What I also want is as many FAN headers as possible, which would also be PWM so that I can configure and monitor my case airflow the way I want.

From what I gather, only Extreme has DIMM.2 card which enables more than 2 nvme cards? It seems to also be the only one having fan extension card.

And here is where my understanding ends. The comparison at the ASUS site does not detail component differences, VRM phase count etc.

Can someone please help me pick a MB?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
If looking to build a humble air-cooled system, then the Code or Hero is a sensible choice. There are ample fan headers, as well as T sensor to control chassis fans based on internal case temperature. I normally use a PWM hub, or the fan extension to keep cable management in check, though.

The Extreme, Gene and Apex are the only boards supporting the DIMM.2 slot, however, the Hero and Code have 2x M.2 slots for NVMe storage.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
If looking to build a humble air-cooled system, then the Code or Hero is a sensible choice. There are ample fan headers, as well as T sensor to control chassis fans based on internal case temperature. I normally use a PWM hub, or the fan extension to keep cable management in check, though.

The Extreme, Gene and Apex are the only boards supporting the DIMM.2 slot, however, the Hero and Code have 2x M.2 slots for NVMe storage.

Can you tell me more about pwm hub/fan extension?

And you can run more than 2 NVME M.2 SSDs on the Hero. I added a PCIE card that has my 3rd NVME drive on it and I also use all 6 SATA ports for SATA 3 drives. Frankly I think the Hero is fine for most normal PC usage. If you want to go crazy on the OC and with high voltages wait for the Apex to come to the US.

Retired
Not applicable
SimplyQQ, to me, the Extreme edition look's like their flagship motherboard. Yeah, I know, it's got 2 LAN ports however it possesses other features that you'd like. It's got the DIMM.2 slot and 2 M.2 slot's. It also come's with an fan extension card pin, that's if you'd decide to purchase a fan extension card. For me, the fan extension card should come with the motherboard. Strange to say the least. If you rely on those features then the Extreme edition is the way to go. Maximus XI Code/Hero edition's look like a very good alternative. They still has 4 random access memory slot's whereas to 2 with the Apex edition. Asus listed up to 64GB support on two dimm slot's. For now, rather in-achievable because in the market, there is only max one 16GB module's available. But, who knows, we can't keep up technology 🙂

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:

In middle of build with Asus Hero XI and Phanteks Evolv X case... Having problems setting up my 7 120mm Noctua case fans (3 front-intake, 3 top-exhaust, 1 rear-exhaust)... It's confusing whether to connect them on the MB or the fan controller... (and using air cooling for CPU, the new Noctua NH-U12A).

Any specific help or links would be appreciated.