cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (Non Wifi Edition) and i7 8700K Bios Help Needed

Fox1966
Level 7
What are the recommended bios settings (especially interested in voltage and CPU specific settings) for the Maximus X Hero and the i7 8700K? I am not interested in overclocking, I just want the CPU to run at the recommended specs. I will be using an EVGA 240MM AIO for cooling. Any help would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

If you want to run your 8700k in original Intel operating mode, you have to just disable ASUS MultiCore Enhancement (BIOS UEFI - Advanced Mode > Ai Tweaker tab > ASUS MultiCore Enhancement : Disabled)

Fox1966
Level 7
Thank you so much! Does this still allow the CPU to "turbo boost" to 4.7 as needed? I'm still learning quite a bit, it's been awhile since I've build a new computer.

Fox1966 wrote:
Thank you so much! Does this still allow the CPU to "turbo boost" to 4.7 as needed? I'm still learning quite a bit, it's been awhile since I've build a new computer.

Yes. here's what I suggest:
1.) Under Power Options in Windows CP, set it to performance
2.) Open CPU-Z to monitor the CPU (Vcore) voltage to see what it uses at idle
3.) Then run RealBench stress test with CPU-Z open to determine the voltage is utilized while under heavy stress in turbo mode

From here you can then adjust the CPU Core voltage in the bios so it doesn't over volt while under load.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Fox1966
Level 7
I truly appreciate your advice and assistance, thank you!

john_nicolosi1
Level 7
Did this method work ?

Fox1966
Level 7
Yes, everything went very smoothly! However, when I saw how easy it was to overclock and how much success people are having with this combo, I decided to give it a try.

For awhile, I just did a 4.6 overclock to see how it would go. Then a couple of days ago, I went ahead and changed it to 4.7 with a core voltage of 1.215. Ran a Realbench stress test and everything seems stable, played the heck out of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and all working great!

However, since the change to 4.7, I've noticed one weird thing in Core Temp that I have a question about. I occasionally will see my Frequency jump from the 4700 MHZ to 4500 MHZ and back. Is this normal, or does that have something to do with me setting an AVX offset of 2 in the bios (which I did when I changed the frequency to 4700, previously when I had it on 4600 I just left AVX on auto. Any insight into this would be very helpful.