cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Apex Kraken X62 compatibility

SMB_92
Level 9
Hi all,

Looking at the board mentioned in title, can't seem to find any pics if this cooler will fit properly.

Cheers.
14 REPLIES 14

I recently purchased the new EK MLC 360 Radiator Core and have been running it for the last week. I painted it white to match the my color scheme. I didn't like the CPU block that you could buy with it so I purchased the quick disconnects and made my own using XSPC waterblock.

Excuse the photos I don't have any official ones yet, but the previous build with the NZXT Kraken x62 can be seen here:

https://marthur.com/projects/pc-build-2018/

In the photos you can see where I used my own waterblock instead of using EKs Phoenix equivalent one.

Yoda1
Level 7
Thanks man. 😃
Your ass is grass, smoke it I will!

Yoda1
Level 7
Very nice! 😃 I really like the build dude!

Compared to the Kraken X62:

How are your temps? Noise level?

EK is definitely louder than the Kraken x62, but I have my fan profiles set somewhat aggressive. I don't mind a little extra noise since I have a 24 port switch behind me that is louder than anything else in the office. I'm running a 6950X @ 4Ghz 1.3v. I keep it about 72F in the office/homelab and the the Kraken was topping out at 68C, the EK Radiator/pump /w XSPC waterblock tops out at 55-58 on Prime95. I'm using liquid metal for my thermal compound with the EK setup, I used MX-4 compound with the Kraken x62.

Kraken idled around 35-37, EK idles around 28C. Keep in mind the rad on the EK is also a 360 vs the Kraken's 280. Shipping on the EK was very expensive, at the time I couldnt find any stores that sold it yet, I think it was over $50 bucks cause it shipped directly from EK. Also if you want to use your own waterblock, you'll need https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-qdc-10mm-gray and some of their coolant, unless you plan to completely remove the tubes that come with the EK radiator and use your own, but I've heard that it was a PIA. I stuck with the QD for easier maintenance.

Yoda1
Level 7
I see! 😃

Thanks for the very detailed response, exactly what I needed to know. 😃

Again, great looking rig dude. 😃