Maximus VIII Hero won't boot - CPU red light blinks once

Disaster
Level 7
Hi there,
Just bought the Maximus VIII Hero motherboard and an i5 6600k. Also got :
- Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 Go (2x 16 Go) DDR4 @ 2666
- BeQuite Dark Power Pro 11 @ 650W
- Noctua NH-D9
My system won't boot. And it's not the RAM. With or without the RAM, the system attempts a boot, but fails within a second while the red CPU led lights up for a second. In 5 second cycles the mobo attempts to boot again and again and nothing changes.
There is not enough time for the motherboard to give me an error code, so all I see on the 2 digit screen is "uu".
Whether I take the ram out or leave it in, nothing changes. As I said, it's the CPU red light that blinks once at boot attempt.

The PSU seems to be good too, since everything lights up nicely as soon as i switch on the PSU and all the lights of the mobo stay on even after failed boots and only go out when I switch off the PSU. Also, all of the fans spin for a second during those boot attempts.

I rechecked my CPU 2 times for bent or broken pins, same on mobo... all seems to be fine.

I can't imagine the bios not "accepting" the 6600k... but i've yet to try a bios update through usb...

Is this some kind of a weird problem with the PSU, where it kind of works but not entirely when the power demand increases??? I can't imagine the CPU leaving INTEL house dysfunctional, because physically everything is fine with it.
Somebody got any ideas?
Thanx for your help .
3 REPLIES 3

NemesisChild
Level 12
Could be a short somewhere, have you tried posting with the board outside of the case?

Is the Noctua mounted properly?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Could be a short somewhere, have you tried posting with the board outside of the case?

Is the Noctua mounted properly?

It's exactly what it was. This what I wanted to do as soon as I got home. Got everything out of the case and it's working . The mobo must have been in contact with the case somewhere.*

But now I got another problem. The system won't boot windows from my ssd that got windows 7 already installed on it. It's from my previous rig. It get's to the little windows logo and the moving dots and then crashes. What could be the cause?
Do I absolutely need to install fresh?*

NemesisChild
Level 12
Yes you will need to re-install Windows when transferring to a different chipset.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601