cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Formula shutting down seconds after boot.

Luciano_Pinto
Level 7
Hey there!!

I'm new to the forum, so I'll introduce myself and ask for your help on something.

My name is Luciano and I'm not a complete novice in terms of computer, but I'm facing something with my rig that's baffling me right now. I've set up a gaming machine with the following specs:

Intel I7-7700K, overclocked at 9%
MOBO Asus ROG Maximus VIII Formula, with bios updated to latest version (V.3054, if not mistaken)
16 GB of RAM (2x 8GB Kinsgston Fury 2133Mhz)
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC 8GB (stock oc speed)
Corsair H80i V2 Water cooler
Corsair RM750i power supply
Kingston 240GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA

The problem I'm facing is that every single time I boot the computer for the first time it takes 5 seconds, tops, then it shuts down. If I boot it again right after that, it boots normally and shows no other problems whatsoever. It only started doing that after the latest BIOS update. I've already reset the BIOS to default settings and even flashed it again without results.

Is anyone else experiencing similiar problems, or am I missing some sort of configuration in BIOS settings?

Any insights will be mostly appreciated.

Thanks to all!
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Luciano_Pinto

Welcome to the ROG forum.

If you're turning the psu switch off or unplugging it from the wall after you shut it down, you'll get the double boot when you start it. If power is kept to the board it should start on the first boot every time.

Try holding in the clear cmos button for 3 seconds then give it a try.

If this doesn't help it could be bios configuration as you suggest.

Nate152 wrote:

If you're turning the psu switch off or unplugging it from the wall after you shut it down, you'll get the double boot when you start it. If power is kept to the board it should start on the first boot every time.

I indeed turn the psu off everytime I shut the machine down. So everytime I intend to use the computer, I have to turn it on.

Could this be happening because there wasn't enough time to charge the board's capacitors before I turn it on? Would it stop if I waited about 10 seconds before turning it on?

I'm wondering this because I noticed that every time I shut it down, the board leds remain lit for about 5-10 seconds after I switch the PSU off, discharging the capacitors banks. So if I wait the same amount of time for it to charge when I turn it on, maybe it will turn on on the first try.

What is most curious is that it only started doing this after I updated the BIOS for the latest update.

What do you think?

Thanks for the reply, btw!

Nate152
You're welcome

You could just leave power to the board after you shut it down, it's what I do.

You could try a previous bios version but you say it made no difference.

Are you using the bios flashback feature to flash the bios ?

Yes. I used it but I flashed again with the latest bios version. And the reason I turn the PSU off is because my power line isn't trustworthy and I don't want to risk a burn out.

Anyway, It's not that big of a problem. I'll try to see what I'll do to make the power line more stable.

Thanks for the suggestions.