cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula using IntelZ87 chipset or Asmedia does it have performance diffs

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
I got my machine up running nicely and gotten it up to 4.5Ghz nicely. I am running my operating system on a RAIDR Express in one of the PCIE ports and a GXT780TI in another one, while using 16GB Corsair 2400 Platinum Dominators as memory solution. Then I have most of my programmes and other files on a Samsung EVO 512GB SSD

In the guides for overclocking on ROG is see that it might be good to turn off various parts on the motherboard that is not used and so forth. which I have done with the internal graphics card.

However the question i have is as follows.

What would the best solution be for the SSD to obtain optimum performance on the overall system.

1. To run the SSD on the Z87chipset and turn the ASmedia chipset off

2. Run the SSD on the ASmedia chipset

What would overall best performace solution be?

Secondly, as I now have only one SSD involved but intend to get another one (i have stopped using normal HDs in my built completely)

If I have 2 SSDs what would be the best for high performance be.. To put one on each chipset or put both on the Z87 chipset or both on the Asmedia chipset?

tnx
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

4 REPLIES 4

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
As great as SSD's are with pretty much everything you can throw at them. I would not abandon HDD's at all, while SSD Tech is ever evolving, the fact remains that to keep them running happily and optimally, you need to keep a portion of them empty. People will throw out different percentages as recommendations....and since this is the best way to keep them happy, its always a good idea to have a HDD for storage since they are fairly cheap and hold an abundance more data than current SSD's and dont need to be kept empty for them to keep running well 🙂

As for your question, keep SSD's plugged into the intel ports for the best performance.

Thanks Myk SilentShadow

Already have the SSD on the Z87 so will turn off the ASmedia chip. Fully agree on the HDD not being obsolete 🙂 but wont be good in my build overall where I effectively is watercooling everything that get hot and is trying to make the Motherboard hardware area completely Fan free and enclosed/sealed. There is simply too much fine dust in this part of the world so want all fans in a separate compartment in the Corsair 900D. Then if I need to add more SSDs to make sure they are not full at x percentage that is fine
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
As great as SSD's are with pretty much everything you can throw at them. I would not abandon HDD's at all, while SSD Tech is ever evolving, the fact remains that to keep them running happily and optimally, you need to keep a portion of them empty. People will throw out different percentages as recommendations....and since this is the best way to keep them happy, its always a good idea to have a HDD for storage since they are fairly cheap and hold an abundance more data than current SSD's and dont need to be kept empty for them to keep running well 🙂

As for your question, keep SSD's plugged into the intel ports for the best performance.

HDDs will still be faster when they have less data on them, because they won't need to spin around as much 🙂
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Chino
Level 15
If you have no use for the Asmedia ports, you can disable them with confidence. Doing so will also shave a few seconds from your boot time also. 😉