cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero Z690 and Corsair RAM

DocratesCR
Level 9
This is my situation:

I own a Maximus Hero Z690, with a i9-12900ks and 64gb RAM 5600 DDR5 Corsair CMT32GX5M2X5600C36 (16x2) x 2 kits (that means all 4 slots used).

RAM settings history:

- In the past and with previous Bios updates, I just could reach 5200 speed using XMPII, no other changes and maybe one or two BSOD per week.

- With BIOS 1403 I can reach 5600 speed using XMPI, but it worked perfect like for 3 days, no BSOD, then they started to appear constantly.

- I moved back to 5200 speed using XMPI, worked fine a full day, and the next day, again BSOD.

Then I go to "pro mode" and read some guides and did some testing. By testing with MemTest86 (the motherboard tool directly), I got errors with all previous settings, a few errors most of the time and a lot a few tests. Also testing from Windows using AIDA64, I got hardware failure detected too.

I found a guide here on forums and did some changes on BIOS:

Memory Controller from auto to 1.3v
CPU System Agent from auto to 1.25v
IVR transmitter VDDQ to 1.275v

And with:

DRAM VDD and VDDQ from 1.25v to 1.275v = test failed a few times.
Any plus to that values = test failed each time more.
Going down = test failed less times.

With 1.25500 = Memtest86 test passed. AIDA64 stress test (only MEM and CACHE) got 20 minutes without issues, but when I stoped the test, it got me a BSOD (WTF?!!!)

Testing with 1.25v and 1.26v gives me errors too.

The most stable situation is 1.25500, but, sometimes with working or gaming, one time per day, I got a BSOD, or app crash.

I don't know where is my problem.

Is it because I have 64gb RAM (2 kits working)?
Should I buy one kit only?
Should I try other settings?
5 REPLIES 5

sifiso_Solomon
Level 7
Typically, BSODs result from driver software or issues with hardware. Apps that crash sometimes cause blue screens of death if they are broken or flawed.
Windows creates what is known as a minidump file when a BSOD happens. This file contains information about the crash and saves it to the disk. However, in most cases, Windows automatically restarts when a blue screen appears.
If you want more time to see what the minidump file is or to see if it is a blue screen happening at all, you can disable automatic restarts on BSODs from the Windows Control Panel.
When your PC restarts after a blue screen, it goes through an automatic troubleshooting and repair process on its own. However, if Windows can't repair the issue, you can start to troubleshoot your own.
If you can isolate the actual Stop Error number or code, you can search the web for the cause of the exact error. Or refer to this helpful list of common BOSD error codes and their meanings.

Solution was to use only ONE KIT of RAM, not two.

Even if the kits are the same brand, chipset and speed, they cannot run at the kit speed and it got reduced to 4000 ~ 4800 to become stable.

I removed one kit and just let 32 (16x2) DDR5 @ 5600 and it's working perfect now. BSOD are gone.

DocratesCR wrote:
Solution was to use only ONE KIT of RAM, not two.

Even if the kits are the same brand, chipset and speed, they cannot run at the kit speed and it got reduced to 4000 ~ 4800 to become stable.

I removed one kit and just let 32 (16x2) DDR5 @ 5600 and it's working perfect now. BSOD are gone.

Correct. Kit are binned as a single entity and the density they are sold in
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

EnderD
Level 7
DocratesCR wrote:
This is my situation:

I own a Maximus Hero Z690, with a i9-12900ks and 64gb RAM 5600 DDR5 Corsair CMT32GX5M2X5600C36 (16x2) x 2 kits (that means all 4 slots used).

I did the same thing just yesterday with only difference being CMT32GX5M2X6200C36. Very unstable BSOD randomly especially if tried to run a game. After 5 BSOD I turned off XMP II to test. But I came to same conclusion as you I would rather 32 GB running at 6200 Mhz than 62 GB running at what 3100 Mhz.

The BSOD were so random too.

Anyway you are not alone. I am returning the one kit later today.

EnderD wrote:
I did the same thing just yesterday with only difference being CMT32GX5M2X6200C36. Very unstable BSOD randomly especially if tried to run a game. After 5 BSOD I turned off XMP II to test. But I came to same conclusion as you I would rather 32 GB running at 6200 Mhz than 62 GB running at what 3100 Mhz.

The BSOD were so random too.

Anyway you are not alone. I am returning the one kit later today.

Certainly not alone. I have been running 32 @ 5600 in slots 2 and 4 on xmpII successfully for 9 months. Price has come down significantly but sadly I cannot get a stable 4x16 at anything other than 4000. Random memory related BSOD. Latest firmware release for Hero bios didnt solve it. I may push to 2x32 at some point but right now these boards cannot reliably support 4 dominator dimms at anything but base 4k.Â*