cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a videocard upgrade (LGA1150)

Cinaro
Level 7
Hello fellow Gamers and forum users.

I'm looking for a video card upgrade.

Motherboard: Asus Republic Of Gamers Maximus VII Ranger. (Intel® LGA1150)

I currently have this video card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 GAMING 4G

What other video cards from MSI will work on that motherboard like 1070/1080?
7 REPLIES 7

Turbonetics
Level 7
Please post the model of your CPU and PSU. Not only motherboard matters for this upgrade

Turbonetics wrote:
Please post the model of your CPU and PSU. Not only motherboard matters for this upgrade

I'm asking what video cards from MSI will work on that motherboard.

Cinaro wrote:
I'm asking what video cards from MSI will work on that motherboard.

any will plug in. but depending on your other specs you might not see much of a benefit from a new card. if your cpu is a bottleneck, you'll need to upgrade it too. a weak psu means no upgrade, you literally dont have the power. also i'm guessing your target is 1080p?

WHO_FARTED? wrote:
any will plug in. but depending on your other specs you might not see much of a benefit from a new card. if your cpu is a bottleneck, you'll need to upgrade it too. a weak psu means no upgrade, you literally dont have the power. also i'm guessing your target is 1080p?

Yes a little bit more newer type generation of video card I'm after.

My cpu : i7-4790K Processor (4.40 GHz)
My psu: FSP Aurum PT 850W

WHO_FARTED_
Level 10
you could do any 10 or 20 series. 1080ti is still good. you could do 2070 if you wanted too. 30 series is doable too, but might see a little performance loss there.
the step up from a 980 would mean you want atleast a 1080. anything else you won't see a noticable gain in fps.

WHO_FARTED? wrote:
you could do any 10 or 20 series. 1080ti is still good. you could do 2070 if you wanted too. 30 series is doable too, but might see a little performance loss there.
the step up from a 980 would mean you want atleast a 1080. anything else you won't see a noticable gain in fps.

I think about a 1080. or a TI, but would it be 4GB or 6GB or 8GB version or what ells there is GB wise.

WHO_FARTED_
Level 10
the 1080 was an 8gb card i believe. the ti was 11gb. i don't want to say not to get a 1080, but the improvement from the 980 wouldn't be a huge improvement. i wouldn't want to recommend it and you be disappointed afterwards. i don't know the budget or your target resolution.