cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LGA1155 or 2011

BobSki
Level 7
is there much difference between the LGA2011 and LGA1155 processors? There is a small difference in price with what seems to be an advantage in processor power LGA1155 2700K is 3.5Ghz where the LGA2011 3820K is 3.6Ghz for the same price, so I'm wondering
Which is the latest technology?
what would be the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?
and
Which would you guys choose to put in a gaming rig?

All the best
BobSki
5 REPLIES 5

Zka17
Level 16
LGA1155 practically can houses two generations of CPUs, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. LGA2011 is for Sandy Bridge-E CPUs. So, LGA1155 is older and newer technology in the same time. 🙂

You can take it simply as LGA1155 is more for the masses, while the LGA2011 is for high performance, high-end systems. As this, perhaps LGA2011 will be always more expensive.

For just simple gaming, I think, LGA1155 is good enough. If you want to go higher, get into OC'ing, then I would choose LGA2011.

I found an article about lga 1155 and 2011. hope this helps. I'm in the same position as you and actually in the verge of knowing what system to build too.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3820_2.html#sect0

HiVizMan
Level 40
Gaming rig I would go for a LGA1155 and the SB version. My CPU of choice would be the 2500K. Offers all the performance you could want with a modest cooler. Best value for money CPU and an easy overclock chip.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Gentlemen, I sincerely thank you for your help and all this useful and easily understandable information. It is much appreciated.

Liquor_Rim
Level 7
BobSki wrote:
is there much difference between the LGA2011 and LGA1155 processors? There is a small difference in price with what seems to be an advantage in processor power LGA1155 2700K is 3.5Ghz where the LGA2011 3820K is 3.6Ghz for the same price, so I'm wondering
Which is the latest technology?
what would be the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?
and
Which would you guys choose to put in a gaming rig?

All the best
BobSki

For gaming I would just use an 1155 board and clock the bollox out of it with an i5 2500k CPU.

For serious video encoding and rendering I would choose the 2011 board every time with an i7 3930k CPU and clock it sensibly.

No point in spending money where it is not required.

Lickos
put her on guinness, pot the black 😛