cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard backlight fix

Un4givenone
Level 7
There seems to be an infinite number of fixes post on the web about reinstalling the ATK package. This is fine for those that had a single installation failure. But for those that had a motherboard change or a bad bios flash, that "fix" wont work. I found one that does and its ASUS's fault, it seems. See it appears that when you download the lastest bios form asus they are missing a block that controls this. So heres the fix I found and in 30 seconds my lights worked perfectly again.

To start things off, we'd like to thank @jcd69 who is a Volter here on our forum for his finds and tests related to this specific KB lights fix.

Critical: Please take note that this has only been tested on G752VL and N552VX notebooks (Aptio 5 FW).

This can happen after reconstructing a full 8MB BIOS image and programming it back or from something even as simple as a BIOS update. The KB lights suddenly stopped working! So how do you know which steps to take to remedy this situation? Find out in our guide below.

Most ROG Notebooks will go through a KB light sequence at POST where it flashes the lights on and off momentarily. If this happens with yours KB lights at POST, then this guide is not for you. If it's just in Windows when the KB lights do not work, simply reinstall the ATK drivers again (go to the ASUS support page specific to your model - download ATK drivers).

Note: This guide is for the absolute rare occurrence that no other fix has worked. So if you do not see the KB lights turn on during POST, and you have checked all flex cable connections several times over from the notebook disassembly/reassembly since programming, then it means that there was possible data corruption in the Non Critical Block 2 of the BIOS image; resetting NVRAM does not fix the issue unfortunately (tested).

So how do we correct this? As you may or may not know, the Gary Key fix has worked almost every time in regards to this problem. So you may wish to try his tool out by downloading it here and following the instructions inside first. If the same problem persists afterwards, you will want to try the following steps below in our guide as a last resort.

Note: In order for the KB lights to work again at this point if nothing else has, you need to have at least made a backup 6MB BIOS image when the KB lights did work. If you didn't, do not worry, just ask around the forum for someone to dump their 6MB BIOS image so you can use it to complete the steps in the guide; model of notebook does not matter here but the manufacturer does; ASUS Notebooks with keyboard backlighting only.

GUIDE on specific KB lights fix

Tools: AFUWIN v3.05.04

Prestep. Download and extract AFUWIN and locate a working KB light 6MB BIOS image as mentioned above.
Step 1. Run AFUWIN (AFUWINGUI) and go to "Open" and locate the working KB light 6MB BIOS image.
Step 2. On the Setup tab of AFUWIN, check only these boxes: Do Not Check ROM ID and Non Critical Block 2. Then click on "Flash".

[​IMG]
http://voltground.com/haven/threads/167/
Step 3. Once the process has completed successfully, simply close AFUWIN and restart your system.
Final. Smile at your working KB lights again!

Dreamonic, Mar 11, 2017
15 REPLIES 15

Hi
I fixed my keyboard backlight using the provided instructions.
For those who may need G752VY Bios dump provided here and you can always check the file integrity by md5 or...
You can flash the bios using this version of AFUWin.
If you are using Windows 10 X64, don't forget to uninstall and then install this version of ATK Utilities Package.

PeymanCz wrote:
Hi
I fixed my keyboard backlight using the provided instructions.
For those who may need G752VY Bios dump provided here and you can always check the file integrity by md5 or...
You can flash the bios using this version of AFUWin.
If you are using Windows 10 X64, don't forget to uninstall and then install this version of ATK Utilities Package.

Hello,
I have a G751JY with the GTX 970M that I had purchased used a few years ago and recently The MB went bad and I
ordered a brand new replacement MB but upgraded to the GTX980M MB version.
Everything went perfect replacing the MB and at startup ect but now i have no Keyboard lights.
I flashed the Bios and made sure all the Drives were installed and ATK ect still no luck.
I read a few places that lead me to links to Volt .com ? but seems the website is no longer i use and i
cannot retrieve any of the fixes .
I can spend a few days on the web and try all the "Fixs" but I figured i would ask if there are any fixes for this
that work.
Thank you very much!!
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz

Hi, I lost my keyboard backlight functionality since a year ago. I think it was during some sort of system update. I've tried everything, including uninstalling and reinstalling ATK packages, upgrading and downgrading BIOS using the official one that's provided for my model on ASUS website, and have even replaced my entire keyboard assembly and quadruple checked the backlight connectors to make sure it's not a hardware issue. Long story short, does anyone have the BIOS dump files for GL502VS with a working kb lights? SO I can try the method in this thread. If so, please would you mind sharing your files? If you don't have the files but do have the same model, I'm willing to pay you to dump it via AFUWIN and send it to me. Im really desperate, I appreciate any help thanks!

Sadler13
Level 9
Hello,
I have a G751JY with the GTX 970M that I had purchased used a few years ago and recently The MB went bad and I
ordered a brand new replacement MB but upgraded to the GTX980M MB version.
Everything went perfect replacing the MB and at startup ect but now i have no Keyboard lights.
I flashed the Bios and made sure all the Drives were installed and ATK ect still no luck.
I read a few places that lead me to links to Volt .com ? but seems the website is no longer i use and i
cannot retrieve any of the fixes .
I can spend a few days on the web and try all the "Fixs" but I figured i would ask if there are any fixes for this
that work.
Thank you very much!!

Jon_S
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz

ar1376
Level 7
hi, anyone has bios image for gl553vd ?

Kaaybean
Level 7
Hello,

can someone perhaps provide a working Bios Rom for a G751JY / 4710HQ? My keyboard lights are unfortunately also off after a BIOS mod.

Thanks a lot!