cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kaby Lake @ 5.0GHZ and above, Yes it does

Menthol
Level 14
It has been reported that the new Kaby Lake 7700K CPU's can overclock to 5.0 on 1.35 volts

Without giving to much information my retail sample 7700K can run RealBench 2.44 at 5.0 at 1.35 volts easy, can validate @ 5.1 1.35 volts, locks up at 5.2
Not sure if I have a good chip or not but pretty excited to play with this new chip
Haven't delidded it yet like all my Skylake CPU's are and the temps it hit running RealBench @ 5.0 with a Corsair h115i I may not, mid 70"s on open bench table
Supposedly the IMC has been improved and runs memory at high speeds, I will be checking this out soon, this is on a an ASUS Z-170 board

69 REPLIES 69

Menthol
Level 14
No I have not run any to compare, consensus is they are same clock to clock, I had to up volts to 1.44 to complete XTU at 5.0, in process of installing Win 7 on a drive for more testing
I will be at HWBOT world tour next week in Vegas during CES, they will be benching all Kaby Lake and new Z-270 boards will be on display and available soon

samual
Level 11
Have fun in Vegas.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

quark54
Level 8
5.0 GHz at 1.35 Volts. What were the thermals like? How were you cooling?

quark54 wrote:
5.0 GHz at 1.35 Volts. What were the thermals like? How were you cooling?

He covered temps and cooling in the first post.***

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
He covered temps and cooling in the first post.***

Apologies, no idea how I missed that.

There are so many inconsistent reports re Kaby Lake, some claiming high temps and some not, I'm beginning to wonder if there's inconsistency regarding the Die/IHS interface. I recall similar issues when Skylake was released. Just speculating.

When Skylake was released there were also plenty of reports of 5 GHz. I'm thinking the true picture will emerge in a few months time when a multitude of owners recount their experiences.

As Menthol said.. he may have a good chip, may have been lucky in the silicone lottery.

quark54 wrote:
Apologies, no idea how I missed that.

There are so many inconsistent reports re Kaby Lake, some claiming high temps and some not, I'm beginning to wonder if there's inconsistency regarding the Die/IHS interface. I recall similar issues when Skylake was released. Just speculating.

When Skylake was released there were also plenty of reports of 5 GHz. I'm thinking the true picture will emerge in a few months time when a multitude of owners recount their experiences.

As Menthol said.. he may have a good chip, may have been lucky in the silicone lottery.

Judging from his temps with WC I would say the IHS interface is still an issue. Note also he said he hasn't delided his 7700K yet. Its a shame that intel makes this sacrifice to save in production costs. Their only obligation is that the chip makes its advertised specs, nothing more. My Skylake was all over the place and spiking extremely high. It would jump 40-55C just sitting at idle and peak at 90C with a mild-moderate OC until I yanked the IHS and gave it the royal treatment. After the same chip idles at 30C and deosnt move more than 1-2C at idle and with the same mild to moderate OC of 4.6GHz it peaks at 60C.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Judging from his temps with WC I would say the IHS interface is still an issue. Note also he said he hasn't delided his 7700K yet. Its a shame that intel makes this sacrifice to save in production costs. Their only obligation is that the chip makes its advertised specs, nothing more. My Skylake was all over the place and spiking extremely high. It would jump 40-55C just sitting at idle and peak at 90C with a mild-moderate OC until I yanked the IHS and gave it the royal treatment. After the same chip idles at 30C and deosnt move more than 1-2C at idle and with the same mild to moderate OC of 4.6GHz it peaks at 60C.

Yes I'm sure you are right, in that Intel switched to TIM rather than solder, to some degree, as a cost cutting measure. That's not the only issue though. Many aren't aware just how difficult it is to solder an IHS to a die, Very complex. I understand that the 14nm die shrink imposes even more issues in this respect.

For me, it's the inconsistency that's the issue. I'm lucky in that my 6700K has a reasonable die/IHS interface, so no real issues. As you've found out though, not the same for all. You aren't the first person I've come across with a screwed up TIM application and/or too much adhesive.

Interesting article regarding this here...

http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

Intel has some of the best engineers in the world when it comes to metallurgy. They know exactly what they are doing and the reason for conventional thermal paste in recent desktop CPUs is not as simple as it seems.

Micro cracks in solder preforms can damage the CPU permanently after a certain amount of thermal cycles and time. Conventional thermal paste doesn’t perform as good as the solder preform but it should have a longer durability – especially for small size DIE CPUs.

Thinking about the ecology it makes sense to use conventional thermal paste. Gold and indium are rare and expensive materials. Mining of these materials is complex and in addition it’s polluting.

After soldering one of my 6700K CPUs I can tell it’s a pretty complex process. I’m still working on it and trying to make it available for extreme overclockers. However, I doubt that Intel will come back with soldered “small DIE CPUs”. Skylake works great even with normal thermal paste so I see no reason why Intel should/would change anything here.

Judging from his temps with WC I would say the IHS interface is still an issue.

It's an H115i All In One water cooler. Closed loop. Not a custom loop. Mid 70's is an excellent temp at 5GHz with this cooler. Hence why he said he may not bother to delid The H115i is only 4 or 5 degrees cooler than my D15. It's the variation in thermals from review to review that make me consider the IHS/Die interface issue.

quark54 wrote:
Mid 70's is an excellent temp at 5GHz with this cooler. Hence why he said he may not bother to delid The H115i is only 4 or 5 degrees cooler than my D15. It's the variation in thermals from review to review that make me consider the IHS/Die interface issue.

Mid 70s is hot as snot considering the 1.35 Vcore, even with the corsair WC. I don't hit that on my 6700K until 1.485 @ 5 GHz. *

From what I'm hearing so far one has a 100% chance of 4.8 GHz, 50/50 chance of hitting 5 GHz, cut those odds in half to get to 5.1 and less than 5 percent *getting to 5.2 anything past that is only happening in rare cases with phase change or like the new world record just over 7.328 GHz *on all 4 cores with LN2 and LHe for cooling. They got a single core to 7.383 GHz.*

So Menthol did fairly well with the silicon lottery. *

meankeys
Level 13
Nice Menthol ! good news for sure 🙂

Nate152
Wow, yeah nice overclock Menthol and you still have room to push, I'm going to ask Intel if 1.52v and 64c are their recommended maximums same as skylake.

You were mentioning about how kabylake is more or less a skylake refresh just named kabylake where clock speeds and maybe better TIM are the major improvements. Kinda reminds me of when the 4770k refreshed to the 4790k.

But yeah man that is awesome, I'm glad to see this and I hope all cpu's are like yours. I'd like to see everyone with an ROG board at 5.0+GHz, 5.0GHz was a rare feat with skylake even at 1.52v.