cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this power supply enough?

Matt_B
Level 9
My build:

Rampage 4 Extreme

Intel i7 3930k

Intel thermal solution RTS 2011 Liquid Cooler

Corsair Dominator GT 12GB

LG Bluray burner

Intel SSD 520 series 120GB

Dual Asus GTX 570 SLI'd

RaidMax 850 AE Power supply

Antec 1200 case

My questions is with this equipment is this power supply sufficient? I read a few things suggesting otherwise like around 1000 watt or more to start. I do things like gaming, video editing and photoshop and I haven't noticed anything yet that I can think of leading me to believe there isn't enough power so I'm not sure.
470 Views
12 REPLIES 12

speed
Level 12
Get a 1,000watt, but stay away from raidmax. The last one I used fried when I pluged it in. I was doggone lucky it didnt take the rest of the pc with it. do not go cheap on a psu the computer you save may be your own.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

Homiestar
Level 8
Yea, definitely stay away from Raidmax! The power supply should not be the thing to go cheap on, like speed said.

Some brands I would reccomend are Seasonic, They're more expensive, but worth the extra cost.
Corsair PSU's are really good too 😄
Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - FX-8150 3.6GHz ( OC'd to 5.4)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 (2 gentle typhoon fans)
GPU - ASUS Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X series (2x4gb) 1600 (OC'd to 1725)
PSU - Seasonic 860w platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
OS - Win. 8 Pro 64 bit

Zka17
Level 16
I agree, go for a bigger PSU! You didn't mention for what are you gonna use your system, but heavy gaming and OC'ing definitely would need bigger and better one... Get a Corsair AX1200 - yes, it's a little bit overkill, but then you can forget about PSUs for many years... 🙂

BTW, are you using a triple channel memory kit on the RIVE? (I just assuming from the "12GB"...)

Zka17 wrote:
I agree, go for a bigger PSU! You didn't mention for what are you gonna use your system, but heavy gaming and OC'ing definitely would need bigger and better one... Get a Corsair AX1200 - yes, it's a little bit overkill, but then you can forget about PSUs for many years... 🙂

BTW, are you using a triple channel memory kit on the RIVE? (I just assuming from the "12GB"...)


There are three physical sticks of ram if that is what your asking with two fans attached over them. Not keen on some of the lingo, not sure what RIVE is, sorry for my ignorance. I mention that I do some gaming but no interest in over clocking at all. I do some HD video editing and my share of photoshop. Most of the gaming I do is most likely considered high end like BF3, star craft 2 and guildwars to name a few with all options on high.

Matt B wrote:
There are three physical sticks of ram if that is what your asking with two fans attached over them. Not keen on some of the lingo, not sure what RIVE is, sorry for my ignorance. I mention that I do some gaming but no interest in over clocking at all. I do some HD video editing and my share of photoshop. Most of the gaming I do is most likely considered high end like BF3, star craft 2 and guildwars to name a few with all options on high.


RIVE = Rampage IV Extreme - your motherboard

As this motherboard is designed for quad channel memories, also it is known to be very picky with the memories... - I found interesting using a triple channel kit on it... - that's all. It would be good to know the exact model of your kit and the slots you inserted them... specially for those who switch from the X58 systems (a triple channel one), that they can use their old memory kits... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
RIVE = Rampage IV Extreme - your motherboard

As this motherboard is designed for quad channel memories, also it is known to be very picky with the memories... - I found interesting using a triple channel kit on it... - that's all. It would be good to know the exact model of your kit and the slots you inserted them... specially for those who switch from the X58 systems (a triple channel one), that they can use their old memory kits... 🙂


This is the ram I am using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145329
It is installed in the spots to the right side of the processor in the furtest three slots leaving the slot closest to the processor empty.

Retired
Not applicable
Corsair HX 1000
Chieftec Nitro 1200w

are two good candidates.. That will do the job..

Seasonic X-1050 looks like a nice fit.

But you could go for a bigger power supply, in the range of 1200W (Corsair AX1200, Seasonic X-1250).
Investing in a good quality PSU is never a bad idea. 😉

Zero_exe
Level 10
Im using Cooler Master silent Pro 1000 Watt Gold. Seems legit no issues and wires are gorgeous.
"Did anyone else make it? ... Just Dust and Echoes"