cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel i7-4960X Build

davesandell
Level 7
So after breaking up my huge gaming PC and replacing it with a laptop some years ago I think it is time for a new desktop PC again!

I am to base my build around the socket 2011 4960X!

After the sheer size, noise and power consumption of the last build (it was a full tower PC that sounded like a jet engine and drank power like water!) I have decided I rather fancy a Micro-ATX build!

I am thinking of the BitFenix Prodigy M MATX Cube Case ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-192-BX&groupid=2362&catid=1850 )

With the 4960 in a RAMPAGE IV GENE.....
( http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_GENE/specifications/ )

The CPU comes without a cooler...so I am all ears for cooling options - my last build was an LGA775 QX6650 that I had a Zellman flower cooler sat on top of....

I am planning on taking across the Samsung 840 250GB SSD from my laptop to the desktop...

I also have a dual layer LG BD-RW drive that I stuck in an external enclosure when I stripped my old desktop - so that can go in as the optical drive...

So the shopping list that I'm looking for recommendations for are -
Graphics card
Power Supply
CPU Cooling
RAM

So what do you guys think?
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
If I was building a microATX machine like yours, this is what I'd put into that Prodigy M.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£78.72 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£125.52 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Matrix Video Card (£559.01 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£171.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £934.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-01 17:35 BST+0100

kkn
Level 14
you can get away whit a 750 or 850W PSU, but IF you are after silence the 1kw would be ok, since it will hardly use the fan to cool and will stay cool.
and you have the option to add another GPU if thats an option or can be done. ( have not looked at the specs of the mobo ).

davesandell
Level 7
I just noticed that while I had been away on holiday last week Intel announced the new socket 2011 CPUs 😞
Just bad timing I suppose - but then I did get the 4960 at less than half the RRP.....

davesandell wrote:
I just noticed that while I had been away on holiday last week Intel announced the new socket 2011 CPUs 😞
Just bad timing I suppose - but then I did get the 4960 at less than half the RRP.....

That's technology for you. It's always advancing at such a fast pace. Nevertheless, the 4960X is still a very capable CPU and way overkill for gaming as it is. You have nothing to worry about.

davesandell
Level 7
Managed to get a motherboard from dabs..... I only hope it turns up!
As they have now gone end of line - so it could be a bit tricky getting hold of one! 😞