cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows 10 on NVMe M.2, UEFI boot? normal boot? CSM? I'm confused!

ExGreyFox
Level 7
Hey guys, so I have this build arriving in the mail in a few days and I'm already stressed 😞

CPU: Core i7-8700K
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB
MOBO: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
GFX: GTX 980Ti for now (Re-Using my existing GPU until 1180 comes out)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Storage: Samsung 970EVo NVMe M.2 500GB (OS) + Samsung 970EVo NVMe M.2 1TB (Games)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt (Re-using Old existing PSU)
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I am trying to learn the steps on how to install Windows 10 on one the 500GB 970Evo NVMe M.2 and I'm coming across a lot of new terminology and BIOS options I have never seen before. Can someone clarify what is the best way to get Windows 10 on that drive in the best most practical way? I am seeing people creating UEFI compatible windows 10 USB sticks using something called Rufus, others are changing BIOS options under CSM. I am lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti
Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401
NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)
Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt
Cooler Master HAF X
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Combat Pedals
Heatware

1,478 Views
7 REPLIES 7

NemesisChild
Level 12
Hello! Nice build!
It's really easy. just leave all bios options at default. Only connect the 970 EVO drive in your build since this will be your designated Windows drive. After Windows is installed on the 970 EVO, you can connect the other drives to your board. I always buy Windows on a DVD, makes it easier and avoids the step of creating a bootable USB drive. If you have to go the USB route, then follow the online guides.

Once created, here's how you proceed with a UEFI installation:

https://windowsreport.com/install-windows-10-using-uefi/
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
OS: WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe M.2
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Hello! Nice build!
It's really easy. just leave all bios options at default. Only connect the 970 EVO drive in your build since this will be your designated Windows drive. After Windows is installed on the 970 EVO, you can connect the other drives to your board. I always buy Windows on a DVD, makes it easier and avoids the step of creating a bootable USB drive. If you have to go the USB route, then follow the online guides.

Once created, here's how you proceed with a UEFI installation:

https://windowsreport.com/install-windows-10-using-uefi/


I see so basically I do not own a Windows 10 DVD so I will use a USB stick. So should use the UEFI Rufus installation method and all I need to do is download the Windows 10 ISO file using the Windows 10 media creation tool and then use Rufus to create the UEFI windows 10 USB stick?

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti
Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401
NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)
Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt
Cooler Master HAF X
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Combat Pedals
Heatware

ExGreyFox wrote:
I see so basically I do not own a Windows 10 DVD so I will use a USB stick. So should use the UEFI Rufus installation method and all I need to do is download the Windows 10 ISO file using the Windows 10 media creation tool and then use Rufus to create the UEFI windows 10 USB stick?


Yes correct. Or you can use the Microsoft tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once created then boot into to your bios and go the boot tab.
You will see the boot manager option for your 970 EVO. Select it, then the Windows installation will begin.

Good luck and let us know how it went for you.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
OS: WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe M.2
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Yes correct. Or you can use the Microsoft tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once created then boot into to your bios and go the boot tab.
You will see the boot manager option for your 970 EVO. Select it, then the Windows installation will begin.

Good luck and let us know how it went for you.


Ok so to sum it up, I will just use the Windows Media Creation tool to create a Windows 10 USB, then In BIOS would I need to change CSM to disabled and then under secure boot change the OS type to "other type" and clear secure boot keys? This is what I saw here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti
Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401
NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)
Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt
Cooler Master HAF X
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Combat Pedals
Heatware

ExGreyFox wrote:
Ok so to sum it up, I will just use the Windows Media Creation tool to create a Windows 10 USB, then In BIOS would I need to change CSM to disabled and then under secure boot change the OS type to "other type" and clear secure boot keys? This is what I saw here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg


Under secure boot,
Change Op system you have two choices, 'other type' or Windows UEFI, choose Windows UEFI. That video is fairly old, Windows 10 EFI installation is more straight forward and a bit different now.

chevell65 wrote:
Under secure boot,
Change Op system you have two choices, 'other type' or Windows UEFI, choose Windows UEFI. That video is fairly old, Windows 10 EFI installation is more straight forward and a bit different now.


So no need to mess with CSM settings?

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti
Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401
NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)
Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt
Cooler Master HAF X
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Combat Pedals
Heatware

ExGreyFox wrote:
So no need to mess with CSM settings?


Nope.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
OS: WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe M.2
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601