cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows 10 on M.2, Asus Maximus X Hero z370

ArbiterX
Level 7
Hi Everyone!

I am building my first PC in many years, and, while I have full confidence in putting it together, my greatest concern is installing the OS, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance from the Gurus here. All of my parts are in hand, and I am planning assembly soon.

First, relevant specs
Asus ROG Maximus X *Hero Z370 mobo
Intel I7 8700k
Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nVme 500GB (OS to be installed on this drive)
Gtx 1070TI
16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-3000
Windows 10 64bit (I have a key, no disc or USB, but I can burn an ISO if needed)

Questions:
1) After assembling the PC, and getting it to post, should I update to the latest BIOS before installing Windows 10? Is this standard practice? I’ve heard the stock bios is pretty aggressive with the voltage on the CPU (I’ve read the manual, this seems easy enough to do)
2) What is the easiest way to install Windows 10 onto the m.2 drive? (Caveat- I have done too much forum reading and watched too many videos about this.. DVD iso? Bootable UEFI USB ? Clone from my storage HDD? What is gpt? CSM? What do I need to do in the BIOS before I install it?
3) Is there a detailed step by step for this?*

I’m pretty sure I have just over thought this, like I said, I’ve read too much and I just see all of these things that have to be done to install Windows onto the m.2drive. My build wasn’t planning in using a DVD drive, but I can hook on up out of my existing rig easily enough. If using the DVD is the easiest way, I’ll so that. Is it really complicated to do this?

Any guidance you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Full build here:*https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hjkF4q
9 REPLIES 9

Menthol
Level 14
It is not necessary to update your bios before installing windows, but would be a good idea to update as soon as possible.
The easiest way to install Windows is from USB drive, Microsoft has a tool to download the latest version and burn it to a USB drive.
You will not have to change any bios settings to install Windows 10, just hit F8 key during boot to bring up boot menu, select USB drive with UEFI prefix and Install Windows to your drive. Best to only have the drive you are installing Windows on connected then install any other drives after Windows is installed.

You can change bios setting to CSM disabled after install.

Make sure the M.2 is formatted with the GPT partition table

RLGL123 wrote:
Make sure the M.2 is formatted with the GPT partition table

Hi. See unfortunately these types of comments on various forms are the reasons I am getting nervous with this install. What does this mean? At what step do I do this? Could you extrapolate?*

ArbiterX wrote:
Hi. See unfortunately these types of comments on various forms are the reasons I am getting nervous with this install. What does this mean? At what step do I do this? Could you extrapolate?*

You can format the M.2 during the step to install Windows. Here is a link to a little guide too that can help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using...

alfaniterex
Level 7
ArbiterX wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am building my first PC in many years, and, while I have full confidence in putting it together, my greatest concern is installing the OS, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance from the Gurus here. All of my parts are in hand, and I am planning assembly soon.

First, relevant specs
Asus ROG Maximus X *Hero Z370 mobo
Intel I7 8700k
Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nVme 500GB (OS to be installed on this drive)
Gtx 1070TI
16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-3000
Windows 10 64bit (I have a key, no disc or USB, but I can burn an ISO if needed)

Questions:
1) After assembling the PC, and getting it to post, should I update to the latest BIOS before installing Windows 10? Is this standard practice? I’ve heard the stock bios is pretty aggressive with the voltage on the CPU (I’ve read the manual, this seems easy enough to do)
2) What is the easiest way to install Windows 10 onto the m.2 drive? (Caveat- I have done too much forum reading and watched too many videos about this.. DVD iso? Bootable UEFI USB ? Clone from my storage HDD? What is gpt? CSM? What do I need to do in the BIOS before I install it?
3) Is there a detailed step by step for this?*

I’m pretty sure I have just over thought this, like I said, I’ve read too much and I just see all of these things that have to be done to install Windows onto the m.2drive. My build wasn’t planning in using a DVD drive, but I can hook on up out of my existing rig easily enough. If using the DVD is the easiest way, I’ll so that. Is it really complicated to do this?

Any guidance you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Full build here:*https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hjkF4q

Reinstalling the bios should help. I had a similar problem.

Hi

I am interested in this thread. How does one know if one has the correct uEFI/GPT settings once the install is finished?

Thanks
leader.desslock

leader.desslock wrote:
Hi

I am interested in this thread. How does one know if one has the correct uEFI/GPT settings once the install is finished?

Thanks
leader.desslock

https://www.easyuefi.com/resource/check-mbr-or-gpt.html
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

You can also use the command line tool diskpart