Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely slow POST with new Crosshair X670E Hero and 7950X

zeblote
Level 9
Hi, I just built a new PC with these components
- Crosshair X670E Hero
- Ryzen 7950X
- 64GB G.SKILL ram (clocked at 5600Mhz/CL30 after some experimentation which was REALLY painful with this slow POST)
- 4x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSDs
- TUF OC 3090 with 3 monitors attached
- 2 sets of mouse+kb, one wired one wireless

It takes an insanely long time for anything to appear on the monitors after pressing the power button, we're talking like up to a minute every time. This should take below 5 seconds.

The mobo spends quite a while doing seemingly nothing while the code 15 ("pre memory system agent initialization is started 1/4" according to the manual) is displayed. Does this indicate an error? I tried updating to the latest bios available, but no change.

Does the bios write some kind of log somewhere so one could figure out what it's having trouble with?
22 REPLIES 22

I decided to not try overclocking anything and just install windows.
When i do this, windows installs successfully however when i try boot windows i get a memory code 0D on the LED its 0d.
I have the i dont have the hero actually its the crosshair extreme i have. the memory on stock is clocked to 3600Mhz and then the CPU is clocked to 4500Mhz.
Default bios results in the 0D status code and if i reboot it it goes straight into 0D without even trying to boot windows, I have to clear cmos and then it returns to the 15 memory test and after it completes i can enter bios again and then if i try load windows i brick the bios. which requires me to reset everything with the clear cmos button or reflash it.

Update I managed to get it to boot and post and was able to stresstest in windows using the xmp profile on 6000Mhz, not sure why it worked now it seems i reflashed the bios again and it worked.

However I cannot use all 4 sticks of memory. I tried using 4 and it successfully booted and i got into windows. I even ran prime95 and nothing crashed. When I rebooted and hit bios i got greeted with the 0D error code again. Not sure why but it seems that this motherboard's bios is incompatible with 4 x 32GB ram regardless of the clock speed.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
POST time will depend on the memory configuration and UEFI settings. To stop the system from training on a warm boot, enable Context Restore in the DRAM settings menu.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
POST time will depend on the memory configuration and UEFI settings. To stop the system from training on a warm boot, enable Context Restore in the DRAM settings menu.

Thanks for the tip. What are the disadvantages of doing this, i.e. why would it be disabled by default?

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:

Thank you that helped. Unrelated to this thread now but any idea why I cant use all 4 sticks of memory? I found some random small youtuber who had the exact same issue as me, https://youtu.be/sV8OtUz089o?t=1209 however he did what I did and avoided the problem by removing 2 sticks.

TroyDota wrote:
Thank you that helped. Unrelated to this thread now but any idea why I cant use all 4 sticks of memory? I found some random small youtuber who had the exact same issue as me, https://youtu.be/sV8OtUz089o?t=1209 however he did what I did and avoided the problem by removing 2 sticks.

I wonder if there's a reason why not a single vendor is selling 128GB DDR5 kits? I was also interested in upgrading to 128GB, and found no evidence of anyone getting it work correctly at the proper speed.

I have the same processor and similar motherboard, I originally had the Aorus x670 Elite, thought it was defective and sent it back and upgraded to something more familiar: Asus ROG Strix x670E-E GAMING. I experienced Windows BSOD's on BOTH motherboards, and wasn't until I sat and watched what it was doing in Windows 11 ala absolutely NOT clicking anything or even moving the mouse that I discovered that the system would be stable for up to 2 minutes before going to a BSOD. If you clicked ANY icon, GAME OVER and it would BSOD. This was with any combination of memory (I have 2x16 Vengeance DDR5..32gb) in any slot. I tested the memory in Memtest and it came back fine.

So I returned the CPU and got a new one. Problem fixed!! I still have a approximately 1 minute POST time... initially I thought I had whittled it down to 30 seconds by ironically turning OFF Fast Boot, but it looks like that was just one boot sequence. It still seems like the system is thoroughly testing memory on every single POST startup / reboot sequence.

Hoping Asus and other motherboard manufacturers can get the bios sorted out quickly to solve this! In the meantime if you are getting ANY BSOD's in Win 11, I would consider that there are some BAD 7950x's out there!

Good luck!

zeblote
Level 9
That helped! We're now down to 20 seconds. Approaching a normal POST time, but still slow.

I've recorded a horrible quality video of the numbers displayed during that time. Do you have any tips for settings to change to bring it down even further? Looks like code 42 is the worst offender now, but it does not exist in the table included in the manual, so I don't know what it is.

Currently, all settings are at the default, except:
- DOCP 2 profile enabled
- Context Restore enabled

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak8Edl87nfqKhjBP35bPBwhiaMTe?e=hB8ngi

shemsureshot
Level 7
I seem to have a similar issue. I’m using the ASUS x670e Crosshair Hero with Ryzen 7600 CPU and it takes me over 35 seconds before the ASUS bios splash screen is displayed, prior to this there is no signal. My motherboard displays code 15 for quite some time then quickly cycles through lots of numbers. I’ve tried enabling Context Restore but this didn’t help. I have the latest bios 0805. This is happening on a fresh Windows 11 installation.*

I realise the training process can take long time on this motherboard, but are we talking days, weeks or months?

No way around it. That's the current situation with AMD and DDR5. I've tried 3 different 7950x's, on a couple different x670e Hero boards and on the x670e EXTREME, using different ram combinations, 4 dimms, 2 dimms, qvl, different speeds, context restore disabled, enabled, auto, etc. you name it, the results were all the same--Blank screen no signal on boot, then it finally gets to the splash screen and starts to load. I timed boot from power on to windows login screen, and it's always 1 minute 10 seconds +. Love AMD but literally just switched to team blue because of this issue. Now on 13900KS, Z790 Extrene--boot times are 10 seconds or less, out the box and on XMP II. Night and day compared to AMD. If someone claims they have a fast boot on 7950x, ask them for a video and ask them for a time in minutes/seconds, because I saw someone say they have a fast boot, in "about a minute or so". Lol To me fast is 10 seconds or less. Not a blank screen and then asus splash a minute later; especially, for the amount of money a lot of this new gear costs.