Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely slow POST with new Crosshair X670E Hero and 7950X

zeblote
Level 9
Hi, I just built a new PC with these components
- Crosshair X670E Hero
- Ryzen 7950X
- 64GB G.SKILL ram (clocked at 5600Mhz/CL30 after some experimentation which was REALLY painful with this slow POST)
- 4x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSDs
- TUF OC 3090 with 3 monitors attached
- 2 sets of mouse+kb, one wired one wireless

It takes an insanely long time for anything to appear on the monitors after pressing the power button, we're talking like up to a minute every time. This should take below 5 seconds.

The mobo spends quite a while doing seemingly nothing while the code 15 ("pre memory system agent initialization is started 1/4" according to the manual) is displayed. Does this indicate an error? I tried updating to the latest bios available, but no change.

Does the bios write some kind of log somewhere so one could figure out what it's having trouble with?
22 REPLIES 22

zeblote
Level 9
I should mention that removing the memory overclock and resetting the bios to all default settings didn't change anything about this slow POST.

Okay, after more experimentation it seems that the memory actually was the issue. However it only becomes faster on the _second_ reboot onwards. Very strange.
It's still not as fast as my other PCs are, but a lot better.

I'll need to try with another set of ram, since this one appears to not be on the QVL, which helpfully only became available after I had already bought all the stuff.

Slow/long POST is normal on X670 after a memory configuration change. Either a physical change, first boot after clear CMOS, or after memory-related BIOS config. The BIOS trains/retrains the memory timing, and it just takes a long time on X670. It should learn the memory timings, then give fast/normal POST times on subsequent simple boots. This isn't a new thing, but takes much longer on X670 than previous platforms.

That is very good to know, thanks!

zeblote
Level 9
After installing the latest BIOS update today, I am now able to run the memory listed in the OP at full 6000Mhz using the new "DOCP 2" profile. Pretty nice.

My setup is the same except i have 128gb of ram and i wait about 5min before the boot gives me BIOS.
Any idea how to reduce this time, its actually so unbearable i am considering refunding the board.

TroyDota wrote:
My setup is the same except i have 128gb of ram and i wait about 5min before the boot gives me BIOS.
Any idea how to reduce this time, its actually so unbearable i am considering refunding the board.

every boot? should just been the first.

No mine just wasnt booting it would run get stuck and then not boot. And if it booted bios and i rebooted then it would take another 5-10min to boot bios again.

I fixed it tho updating bios solved some of the issues. I also have the G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB 6000Mhz memory kit (2 of them so 4 sticks x 32GB)

Cant seem to get the XMP profile to work, i can see both profiles in the BIOS but selecting one and then rebooting causes a safe boot and reverts the OC.
Any ideas?

TroyDota wrote:
No mine just wasnt booting it would run get stuck and then not boot. And if it booted bios and i rebooted then it would take another 5-10min to boot bios again.

I fixed it tho updating bios solved some of the issues. I also have the G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB 6000Mhz memory kit (2 of them so 4 sticks x 32GB)

Cant seem to get the XMP profile to work, i can see both profiles in the BIOS but selecting one and then rebooting causes a safe boot and reverts the OC.
Any ideas?

Is it hanging when at stock speed too or just when try to enable xmp?