cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indecisive new builder seeking advice/guidance

septic
Level 9
Greetings ladies and gents! I've been researching my first build for a few months now and have reached a point of painful indecision(mostly psu+gpu). I have a budget of approximately 2k(US) to fill a Corsair C-70(military green) which I have already purchased. Mainly i'll be using it for gaming and video editing but I'm very interested in overclocking as i feel this a great opportunity to learn the inner-most secrets of my computer(with the correct guidance of course). So far this is what i'm thinking...

CPU: FX-8350
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory? still on the fence here...
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5"
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Now my issues... I am overwhelmed with info when it comes to a gpu and obviously can't pick a psu until I pick gpu... Maybe an R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 or GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5(less than 500 on amazon right now)? I don't think I necessarily have the latest and greatest but at the same time I really want this to turn out as something to be proud of... It's probably worth noting that I currently have a gateway HX1953L and can deal with that for now but in a month or so i'll be in the market to upgrade with a budget around $300. Any and all criticism/advice is welcome and I'm looking forward to hopefully making some new friends and learning a ton here!
25 REPLIES 25

Nate152
Hi septic, Welcome to the ROG community, This is a solid AMD build you have going so far. I and most everyone else would recommend you a seasonic 750 watt psu. The R9280x would be a fine choice for a gpu. And since you say you have a budget of about 300.00 for a monitor, I would recommend you this:
http://www.amazon.com/VS278Q-P-Ultrafast-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B009HNEBLK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qi...

The monitor is 1080p. If you go with 1866MHz RAM, get the kit with the lowest cl timings.

Chino
Level 15
With a hefty 2K budget, this what I would buy. It's a good combination of CPU and GPU power for gaming and video editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($308.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2019.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-01 20:46 EST-0500)

Chino wrote:
With a hefty 2K budget, this what I would buy. It's a good combination of CPU and GPU power for gaming and video editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($308.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2019.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-01 20:46 EST-0500)

I've never done an AMD build before. I'd go with Chino, apart from the cooler. If you want a watercooler then try this. The pre builts are ok, but not much better than a good air cooler when overclocking. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22400/ex-wat-289/Alphacool_NexXxoS_Cool_Answer_240mm_LTST_-_Comple...
Board: MVIF
CPU: intel core i7 4770k@4.8GHz
GPU: R9 290x
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengence 2133MHz
SSD: ROG RAIDR 240gb PCI-e SSD
Case: Coolermaster HAF xb
Cooling: custom water loop
Monitor: Asus PB278Q

My build log photo dump

welshy46 wrote:
I've never done an AMD build before. I'd go with Chino, apart from the cooler. If you want a watercooler then try this. The pre builts are ok, but not much better than a good air cooler when overclocking. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22400/ex-wat-289/Alphacool_NexXxoS_Cool_Answer_240mm_LTST_-_Comple...

for a first timer he should do a closed one and not a custom one......

go custom loop and you get a leak you will not be able to RMA since they do not supports things like that.
shorted = no RMA and you sit there whit a bricked part.

kkn wrote:

go custom loop and you get a leak you will not be able to RMA since they do not supports things like that.

It doesn't quite work like that. When you modify the board with a DIY setup, like a custom-made loop or air-cooler then the warranty is voided because it counts as modifying the product for unintended purposes. If the cooler is a closed loop, and it leaks on the board you can get away with it. Not on a closed loop.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
It doesn't quite work like that. When you modify the board with a DIY setup, like a custom-made loop or air-cooler then the warranty is voided because it counts as modifying the product for unintended purposes. If the cooler is a closed loop, and it leaks on the board you can get away with it. Not on a closed loop.

you saying, if i put anything but a stock AMD heatsink and fan on the socket, my warranty is voided?
that doesn't make any sense.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
you saying, if i put anything but a stock AMD heatsink and fan on the socket, my warranty is voided?
that doesn't make any sense.

No, he meant if you get a water leak and damages one of the components, the damaged part will not be covered under the warranty.

Nate152 wrote:
No, he meant if you get a water leak and it damages one of the components, the damaged part will not be covered under the warranty.

that sounds reasonable.
does it apply only to custom loop? where human error factor is more likely to happen (mishandling). i'll be utterly blunt, alot of first time custom loop users end up shorting their own motherboard one way or another. there's no way a sane motherboard company will insure for that.

what about closed loop, factory sealed ? its installation is almost like any other heatsink, just with 2 pipes protruding out.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

kkn wrote:

First time watercooler here..... Did I do it wrong? ;D

Special note: Most of those stickers that are 'tamper proof' yeah you can get those off clean and stick them back on later with an exactoknife even if they use extreme adhesive. 😄
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity