cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indecisive new builder seeking advice/guidance

septic
Level 9
Greetings ladies and gents! I've been researching my first build for a few months now and have reached a point of painful indecision(mostly psu+gpu). I have a budget of approximately 2k(US) to fill a Corsair C-70(military green) which I have already purchased. Mainly i'll be using it for gaming and video editing but I'm very interested in overclocking as i feel this a great opportunity to learn the inner-most secrets of my computer(with the correct guidance of course). So far this is what i'm thinking...

CPU: FX-8350
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory? still on the fence here...
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5"
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Now my issues... I am overwhelmed with info when it comes to a gpu and obviously can't pick a psu until I pick gpu... Maybe an R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 or GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5(less than 500 on amazon right now)? I don't think I necessarily have the latest and greatest but at the same time I really want this to turn out as something to be proud of... It's probably worth noting that I currently have a gateway HX1953L and can deal with that for now but in a month or so i'll be in the market to upgrade with a budget around $300. Any and all criticism/advice is welcome and I'm looking forward to hopefully making some new friends and learning a ton here!
25 REPLIES 25

septic
Level 9
Thanks Nate, that is a very good point. I was comparing the two and thought the formula was geared towards custom water cooling. But that's what get for assuming... Also, I checked out those 780 numbers and with the formula it looks really good at a price that's still below 2k. Again, i really appreciate the help!

Nate152
Hey no problem. The formula has optional liquid cooling for the mosfets but is not required. If you have any other questions, please do ask before pulling the trigger.

Antronman
Level 10
Nate, you forget one thing we AMDers have sneaking up on Nvidia; Mantle.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman
Level 10
Actually Welshy, the Formula is better than the hero, as it does support 3x CFX (not SLI though) and if you don't go 3 way CFX or go SLI you can get a soundcard.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Actually Welshy, the Formula is better than the hero, as it does support 3x CFX (not SLI though) and if you don't go 3 way CFX or go SLI you can get a soundcard.

This is true. Formula drives my Sennheiser 650's fine. (TOP OF THE LINE REF. CANS) Not 3x SLI compatible off the bat, is 3xcrossfire tho, (don't be trolled by misreading the specs!)
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

septic
Level 9
I just wanted to let all of you who chipped in to help that I really appreciate it! I finally got my first shipment in today but, of course, the mobo is not here yet as well as some other misc things...33592