cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ideas for new mobo/cpu

Rob_W_
Level 12
looking at doing another rig but been out of the tech loop for a while now,
just wondering what board and cpu combo to base it round.
had the M8E with i7 6700
got a R6E with i9 7980XE
want next ??? with ??? ideas for next beast would be a welcome starting point.
got a new R6E due from asus but thinking if I could pay the difference and upgrade it and build a new rig.
thanks in advance for any help.
Rob.
3 REPLIES 3

Rob_W_
Level 12
Not to worry, think I’ll wait till new year and see what’s coming up that’ll give me plenty of time for research.
As it stood I was looking at the maximus xi hero (WiFi) and the i9 9900ks,
Want to do the build around ASUs!.*

BigJohnny
Level 13
ATM there isnt much going on in the world of Intel, just another refresh that they cut the price in half to chap the backside of the last two generations worth of adopters that paid twice as much. AMD just had a new release but its still hanging. Im just going to sit on the current X299 rig until at least the end of 2020 as there isnt anything worth it on the horizon.
Socket 3647 is a lot of $$ ($5K for Intel W-3175X and mobo) and capable of 28 cores but that's a lot of juice to tame and a bit out of the realm of even HEDT users.

BigJohnny wrote:
I'm just going to sit on the current X299 rig until at least the end of 2020 as there isnt anything worth it on the horizon.

Ryzen 4000 is on track on 2020 launch rumors suggest will be long before end of 2020.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-4000-rumors-news-specs-features-price-release-date...