case: thermaltake level 10 gt
motherboard: asus rampage iv extream
cpu: intel core i7 3930k
gpu: nvidia gtx 480
psu: crosair gs800
memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz
cooling: crosair h80

What improvements should i make?
Should i wait and take maximus v or buy the rampage iv?
Can i save money by buying the intel core i7 3820 or there is a big diference in quad core and six core is alot better?
Should i buy a better psu with more power or maybe lower?
Maybe another memory ? 4x4gb or 2x8gb ?

*i will extreamly overclock
*this is the first time i am building a pc on my own so i want to be sure that is good and that i wont make any mistakes
14 REPLIES 14

kkn
Level 14
new screencard, and you are having a nice rig as it is now.
thats my opinion.

HiVizMan
Level 40
VGA is not too bad and will play most games with most of the eye candy on. I do not see your OS device or storage devices.

With that system a good SSD would round the whole package off perfectly.

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xeromist
I agree with kkn. If you are mainly gaming the only upgrade where you might notice a difference is the GPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey there! 🙂

If I'm not mistaken the list is a prospective buy list....?

If so, you have to remember the rampage iv is for lga 2011 X79 and the maximus v is Z77 for lga 1155. Different stuff.

The i73820 is a good chip and would make an excellent place holder for a possible Ivy bridge e replacement next year. But who knows if IB-E will ever see the light of day. The 3930k is a great chip but if you are a normal computer user not really going to give you more than the 3820 except for the smug satisfaction of knowing you own one;)

Get a good 850 psu if you can.....dont go cheap on power it is the root of your system!

For X79 forget vengeance and go with a 4x4 Gskill Z series kit this will save you lots of problems. For Z77 vengeance, apparently, it's ok but I wouldn't do it myself.

For the GPU there are more modern options available....a GTX 670 would be a smart buy....

My 2 cents

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey there! 🙂

If I'm not mistaken the list is a prospective buy list....?

If so, you have to remember the rampage iv is for lga 2011 X79 and the maximus v is Z77 for lga 1155. Different stuff.

i know but i was asking if i better wait and buy the maximus v and a cpu with 1155 socket.
yes it is a list of a prospective buy list
thanks

The only thing I can comment is the very small radiator for a H80, and In a case that big you should be able to fit a H100 or bigger ? 🙂
Board: Asus Maximus V Gene | CPU Intel Core i5 3570k
GPU: Asus Radeon HD7870 2GB (HD7870-DC2-2GD5) | RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBZL (4x4GB)
PSU: SeaSonic X-760 X-Series 80 Gold 760W | Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini
HDD: 2x Samsung 1.5TB/7200rpm Raid 0 | SSD: OCZ Vertex2 120GB

3dMark11 Score@Stock: P6578

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, I guess that would depend a bit on what you want from the computer. For gaming etc. then maybe, yeah, I would get the maximus v extreme and go ivy bridge and PCIe 3.0. X79 is a bit of a luxury but you can put a lot of RAM on it if you need that for Photoshop etc. or run heavily threaded applications.

I think normal use would see 1155 giving you more performance per ......... (insert monetary unit here)

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, the GTX480 is still a very strong beast, but it's hot and power-hungry...

Depending on the budget, I would take Arne's advice and downgrade to a Maximus V Extreme + i7-3770k combo, and would put more in the graphic card... like the GTX670... - this in case of the lower budget...

For higher budget, I would go with the RIVE + 3960k... and some fast memory kit from Corsair Dominator series or GSkill brand... - this for extreme overclocking...

I have to mention here that "extreme OC'ing" (as you indicated) will be pretty expensive on the 3770k... as it requires very good cooling... much better than the Corsair Hydro series...

HiVizMan
Level 40
480 is indeed hot and power hungry. If you do not have this card and were planing on buying one, then look at other options.

X79 v Z77 for gaming Z77 wins every time. For work such as Maya or other rendering application X79 is king.

SSD is wonderful for OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.