cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove graphics card from MoBo?

frozen_sun
Level 7
Hello good people.
I neeed to remove the graphics card to install nvme.
I remember a year ago I gave up because I didn't know the way.
I generally know that this retension clip (marked in the picture) should be pressed and it should pop out by itself, but as far as I remember, that didn't happen, and I was afraid to pull it towards me because the same retension clip on the Asrock board once broke.
Can someone tell me exactly how to remove the graphics card so I don't damage the retension leveler?
The mainboard is from Asus as well as GPU.
I remember last year trying to remove the card but looks like it is simply jammed so I avoided doing that because of anxiety of breaking plastic on leveler.
7 REPLIES 7

Erwin05
Level 10
I always use a long screwdriver.

ahfoo
Level 13
Shut down your PC, remove power plug. Remove 8 ping connector from the GPU. Next press the lever on the connector socket (do not release), your the other working hand pull the card with a little force at once. Remember not to use too much force on it and remain the lever are press until the card removed. If you really unsure about removing the card, please consult your retail computer guru to help you.

Caution: Motherboard socket may easily break if you bend your card while pulling the card out.

ahfoo wrote:
Shut down your PC, remove power plug. Remove 8 ping connector from the GPU. Next press the lever on the connector socket (do not release), your the other working hand pull the card with a little force at once. Remember not to use too much force on it and remain the lever are press until the card removed. If you really unsure about removing the card, please consult your retail computer guru to help you.

Caution: Motherboard socket may easily break if you bend your card while pulling the card out.

I
So pressing leveler towards motheboard,keeping it pressed and at the same time pullinf the card towards me?
I remember I was doing that last year but simply card would not pop out.

ahfoo
Level 13
It may appear the card being insert to the connector quite tight. Just adding some little force gently pull the card toward you in once, be patience. By the way did you remove the screw from the back panel?

ahfoo
Level 13
I can see from your pix your screw attached your GPU to the case back panel was not remove.

frozen_sun
Level 7
I just pictured how graphics cards looks in a slot.
I am not that dumb not to remove screws from backside bracket/holder.

motherboardic
Level 7

Removing a graphics card from a motherboard (MoBo) is a straightforward process. Whether you're upgrading your graphics card or performing maintenance, here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Prepare Your Workspace: Before you begin, make sure you have a clean, well-lit workspace with enough room to maneuver. Gather all the necessary tools, such as a screwdriver, an antistatic wrist strap, and a container for screws.

Power Down and Disconnect: Shut down your computer and unplug it from the power source. This ensures your safety and prevents any potential electrical damage.

Open the Computer Case: Remove the side panel of your computer case. Most cases have screws holding the panel in place. Set the panel aside in a safe location.

Locate the Graphics Card: The graphics card is typically installed in a PCIe slot on the motherboard. It's the large expansion card connected to the back of the case, where your monitor cables are plugged in.

Disconnect Cables: If your graphics card has any external power connectors, such as 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe power connectors, gently disconnect them from the card. Also, if your monitor is connected to the graphics card, disconnect the video cables.

Release Retention Mechanism: Most motherboards have a retention mechanism that locks the graphics card in place. It could be a latch, a clip, or a screw securing the card to the case. Release this mechanism carefully.

Remove the Graphics Card: Once the retention mechanism is released, gently grasp the graphics card by its edges and pull it straight out of the PCIe slot. Be cautious not to apply too much force or twist the card, as this could cause damage.

Ground Yourself: If you're not wearing an antistatic wrist strap, be sure to ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case before handling the graphics card. Static electricity can damage sensitive components.

Place the Graphics Card: If you're replacing the graphics card, carefully set it aside or place it in an antistatic bag. If you're removing the card for maintenance, ensure you're storing it in a safe place.

Close the Computer Case: Once the graphics card has been removed or replaced, close the computer case and secure it with the screws you removed earlier.

Remember, proper handling and care are essential when removing components from your motherboard. If you're uncertain about any step, refer to your motherboard's manual or seek guidance from reliable sources like your motherboard manufacturer's website or technical forums.

For more in-depth tutorials and information about motherboards and their components, you can check out my informational Motherboardic | Troubleshooting Solutions & Expert Insights. blog.