cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero and SATA PCIe Adapter Compatibility

Kym_H
Level 8
I have and Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero with a RTX 4090 covering all but the PCIEX16(G4) Slot.
I would like to add some SATA ports for more hot swap drive cadies to take 2.5" SSD's.

I have found a number of SATA PCIe Adapters on e-bay with four or six ports with the following specs and wondering if they would be suitable:-
LINK TO EBAY

Description:
SATA PCIe Adapter 6 Ports SATA III to PCI Express 3.0 X4 Controller Expansion Card
Feature:
Good reliability, availability, and high compatibility.
Able to achieve fast data transmission, up to 6Gbps transmission mechanism, save more time!
6 standard SATA III ports, which can be connected to multiple devices at the same time.
Can be used as a system disk, supports large-capacity hard disks, and can be connected to SSDs!
Highly compatible ASM processor, lower power consumption, better compatibility and faster transmission!

Specification:
Transmission rate: 6Gbps
Bus type: PCI-E X4, compatible with PCI-E X8/X16 and other interfaces
Bus speed: PCI-E 3.0
Interface: SATA III
Number of SATA interfaces: 6
Installation conditions: there must be one or more free PCI-E slots on the motherboard
Working temperature: -10~+60 °C
Storage temperature: -20~+40 °C
Application: desktops, workstations, servers, industrial equipment
Main chip: ASM1166
Driver support: for Windows, for Mac, for NAS, for LINUX, etc.

I tried an older PCI-E to SATA Card that worked fine on my old Z390 PC and while it is recognized, the transfer rate is only about 512kb/s instead of the 490MB/s I got on my Z390 so that sucks.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards Kym
4 REPLIES 4

Kym_H
Level 8

Looks like I'll have to answer this myself as I purchased the card whilst waiting for an answer.

Yes it works and it gave me an extra six SATA ports on the Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero.

Regards Kym

poa
Level 7

If you hadn’t bought that SATA adapter, how many 2.5” SATA SSDs would you have been able to install on that motherboard? I have a suprim (4090) and hero as well. Haven’t started building but I assumed there would be at least a few SATA ports I could use. Am I mistaken? 

it allows you to add 6 2.5 SATA SSD's or HDD's.

Awesome. Thanks!