cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help noob connect Ryujin 360 II to a Maximus Extreme

Oatlord
Level 7
I haven't built a PC since the 1080 days, so I'm struggling with all the new connectors. The ryujin has two cables from it. A USB cable and a 4 pin cable in a 8 pin header block. Where do I plug that 8 pin block into my motherboard? The manual says into the water pump headers, but those are 4 pin and I don't know the pinout on this 8 pin block.
2 REPLIES 2

RogScott
Level 12
Oatlord wrote:
I haven't built a PC since the 1080 days, so I'm struggling with all the new connectors. The ryujin has two cables from it. A USB cable and a 4 pin cable in a 8 pin header block. Where do I plug that 8 pin block into my motherboard? The manual says into the water pump headers, but those are 4 pin and I don't know the pinout on this 8 pin block.

The cable with the small usb connector goes to the Fan/Lighting HUB provided with the Ryujin.

The cable with the 8-pin block (with 4 pins occupied) goes to a motherboard USB2 header. DO NOT TRY TO CONNECT IT TO A FAN HEADER. USB headers have 8 pins (4 each for 2 USB ports). Plugging the Ryujin 8pin block (with 4 pins occupied) uses 1/2 of the USB motherboard header -- the other half is "wasted" since it is covered by the empty 4 pin positions of the Ryujin 8-pin connector.

If you need additional internal USB 2.0 headers, an internal USB 2.0 hub will need to be purchased.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
The cable with the small usb connector goes to the Fan/Lighting HUB provided with the Ryujin.

The cable with the 8-pin block (with 4 pins occupied) goes to a motherboard USB2 header. DO NOT TRY TO CONNECT IT TO A FAN HEADER. USB headers have 8 pins (4 each for 2 USB ports). Plugging the Ryujin 8pin block (with 4 pins occupied) uses 1/2 of the USB motherboard header -- the other half is "wasted" since it is covered by the empty 4 pin positions of the Ryujin 8-pin connector.

If you need additional internal USB 2.0 headers, an internal USB 2.0 hub will need to be purchased.

It finally dawned on me that it was a USB header, so thank you for that.