cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand RAM QVL please

creatureye
Level 9

The RAM QVL for the Asus Tuf Gaming z690 socket support is a little confusing to me. Please help me understand it. 

As the picture here shows, I circled the RAM I have for my tuf gaming z690 plus wifi D4. The socket support lists 1,2. Does that mean I can only use 2 sticks max of that RAM and not all 4? 

I got ahold of support from Gskill and Asus, Asus told me I can, Gskill told me I cant. Im having some stability issues. I am super confused.Help.png

13 REPLIES 13

Murph_9000
Level 14

Yes, "1,2" means only 1 and 2 DIMM configs.  "1,2,4" means also 4 DIMM configs.  It's possible that a 4 DIMM config might work, as DDR4-3600 CL18 isn't a particularly aggressive overclock, but it wouldn't be a QVL-supported tested/validated config.  Manual tuning might be required to get it to work.  It's quite possible that ASUS tested it in a 4 DIMM config and found that it wasn't stable with the supplied XMP profile.

Also, make sure you have the correct CPU type selected at the top of the QVL, as it changes for different CPUs.

Thank you for clearing that up with me. The CPU listed is correct. I am using a 12900k i9.

I started having stability issues with music recording sessions(BSOD) and game crashes with XMP profile 1. Started trouble shooting thinking the RAM is bad. Ran Memtest86. Got 1 error on the first pass then no errors on the other 3, took 14 hours to do the test. Testing 1 stick at a time showing no errors. Dug a little deeper. And found this QVL situation. Looks like a made a very expensive mistake. Pretty upset with myself.

Can I set the clock and timing speed to match the settings of the RAM underneath the circled ram in the picture with the 3200 16/18/18/38 timings? Or should I just pull out the 2 sticks? I use the 128gb RAM for virtual instruments during my tracking sessions. Would like to still try and use it. But I would rather choose stability over the amount. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. This is my first build in 10 years. And it seems as I made a GREAT mistake.

Thank you.

Murph_9000
Level 14

Lowering the speed to 3200 is certainly worth a try.

With the timings, however, lowering the numbers increases the overclock.  I would stick to your RAM's 18-22-22-42 timings to start with, see if it's stable with them on 3200.  If it is, you could try tightening (lowering) the timings, and see what happens.  Use MemTest or equivalent, letting it run for hours, to confirm stability.

Thank you for the suggestion. Appreciate it. Ive never adjusted RAM speed and timings before besides XMP profiles. Im going to have to research this a little more. But definitely worth trying if I can utilize all 128gb. Im past the point of returning the ram for a refund so I have to make best use of it as I can. 

It takes 14 hours to run a memtest86 on all 128gb of my ram. Which isnt a problem to try and achieve a stable music production/gaming system. 

I feel like a horses behind for this one.

Memtest86 is glacially slow when testing large densities, and not nearly stringent enough to fully test OS stability. I tend to use it quickly for a baseline, or for faulty memory modules. Most frequencies above stock speeds are going to be tough with this much memory, so don't feel too defeated if you come unstuck. Report back if you need any help.

Here are a couple of alternatives whilst you evaulate stability:

Karhu Ramtest
Get it from here, 9.99 euros / lifetime license:

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

Configure the settings to your preference in the graphical user interface and
click the start button to begin testing. To stop testing, just click the same
button again.

It is recommended to run the test for at least 10 minutes before drawing any
conclusions about the stability of your system memory.

To detect intermittent memory errors you should let the test run for at least one hour.

Google Stress App (GSAT)

Google use this stress test to evaluate memory stability of their servers
- nothing more needs to be said about how valid that makes this as a stress test tool.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thank you for all your honest help, From both of you. It does help me. And I am grateful for it. I ran Memtest on the sticks all night and they passed. I ran them in pairs instead of all 4. The RAM is good. I saw your reply this morning with these other tests and will use those tools in the future. Im definitely thankful I figured out my instability issues and now can resolve them. I took 2 sticks out and am running just the 64gb as the QVL calls for. Everything is running rock solid. Sessions that would make me crash and blue screen are no longer doing that.

Ive never tried to under or overclock RAM before. I have no clue what Im doing. I spent a few hours researching it on the internet, reading articles and threads last night and am not sure Ill actually get a stable clock with this ram on this mobo from what Ive read. I would have to underclock it down to 3200 and try to tighten the timings. And adjust voltages. And I just dont know where to begin with that. I havnt found a manual or article that is cut and dry on what steps I need to take to appropriately do it. In what order. Im an old dog trying to learn new tricks so to say.

I made a very expensive mistake not reading the QVL right and now all I think I can do is just try to sell this RAM kit off, and then buy the appropriate 3200 DDR4 128gb I need for music production.

I spoke to ASUS support and asked them if that kit worked in that mobo and they told me yes. I specifically asked if all 4 sticks. They must had misunderstood me. Its not their fault though. Its mine. 

Thank you for your time and valuable information. I wouldnt had figured out my instability issues with you fine folks here. I would had RMA my RAM, thinking it was bad. And would had been still having the same problems with the new kit. 

Have a very wonderful day, and again, thank you. 

You're welcome, glad you got it resolved!

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

creatureye
Level 9

I have one last question. I noticed looking at the QVL that two different brands of RAM running at the same speed are different. They both are 128gb kits, both 3600, both have the same timings, but yet the Gskill isnt compatible with all 4 slots. And the corsair is. Is that because of the chip brand between micron and specTek?

CORSAIR CMK128GX4M4D3600C18(Ver3.44) 4x 32GB XMP 3600 3600 DS Micron 18-22-22-42 1.35 1,2,4
G.SKILL F4-3600C18Q-128GVK 4x 32GB XMP 3600 3600 DS SpecTek 18-22-22-42 1.35 1,2

I have a lack of knowledge in this field. So sorry for the questions.

Ive also read that the z690 mobo's struggle to have a stable XMP file with 128gb using 4 dimms. Is this true? I can easily utilize the RAM for music production and can use 128gb with RAM hungry virtual instruments in a mix.
I want to buy the appropriate replacement RAM that I can use. Ive been looking at the QVL and and seen RAM it says thats compatible, but Ive come across a few threads from folks saying no. I would hate to buy another 128gb 4 dimm set just to have stability issues. Its rather expensive and time consuming. 

I want to be able to run 128gb RAM using XMP on the TUF Gaming z690 wifi plus D4 and have it be stable. 

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this?

Thank you.