cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me help myself...

winter117a
Level 7
First post! Yay!

Here's the deal. I have read all around on different benchmarking sites for the best processor, memory, motherboard combo in order to build a system that will last a solid 3+ years. After upgrading a graphics card here and a processor there over the years, Im ready to build something that will last a good while AND let me play around with overclocking to my heart's content. I am not new to computers, but I am decently new to the enthusiast side of things. This build will be my main computer and it will be used mostly for games, but not just today's games. The idea is to build a machine that will stand the test of time when The Division comes out... and Star Citizen... and 2016's version of Crysis 3.

Because of that, I challenge this fine community to help me help myself. Here are your restrictions, bros and babes:

1. You have complete freedom in suggesting components for my new build. From the motherboard, processor, and memory, to the fans, case, and liquid or air cooler, YOU tell ME the components YOU would pick if you weren't (all that much) worried about money.

2. Please explain WHY you chose a particular component even if is something as simple as "its shiny" or "I like the look of the logo." I will make the final decision on parts anyway, so you decide how much effort you want to put into convincing me to join your side of the Tech War.

3. Be funny. Be creative. Feel free to challenge and innovate. But don't list something just because it's expensive. List it because it's WORTH the price and will LAST a good 3+ years running the latest games.

4. I have an ROG Swift, am aware of the problems, and still am in love with this beauty. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, threaten to take it away from me. It is my precious. I'm taking a gamble that mine will last; don't worry about picking out a monitor.

That's pretty much it. If you think AMD is the way to go, hit me with your reasons. If you like Intel, then launch it at me. If you want a Xeon based system (you WEIRDO!!!!) then convince me why I should sell my wife's engagement ring and buy one (or TWO)!

Game on, all you beautiful, crazy people.

Note: I will post what I end up going with, but I can make no PROMISES that you will receive anything for helping me out other than a warm feeling in your stomach... and the satisfaction of knowing you just built a sweet computer and your bank account didn't empty in the process. ;D

Winter
12 REPLIES 12

jab383
Level 13
Hi Winter117a, and welcome

You asked for it.

For 3+ years of non-obsolescence you have to start with the latest. For overclocking, now and future games the Haswell Extreme Edition 5960X can't be beat. I'll be getting one in a few months myself. Of course the motherboard to put it on is a Rampage V Extreme. What other answer would you expect at a brand-specific forum? Seriously, ASUS has used a version of the 2011-3 socket that includes a few extra pins to supply more even power - better for overclocking.

With the rate of CPU obsolescence, we have to look at that socket. Will it be good for the next generation Extreme Edition? Intel has said they will keep the same socket arrangement for at least two generations. This is the first generation for the 2011-3.

Some badmputh at your strawmen: AMD doesn't cut it for performance these days. For a while did the best at raw processor clock, but fell short of getting the processing per clock cycle. XEONs may run fast and have a lot of cores, but need the sort of PCH (southbridge) used on a workstation motherboard and those boards don't overclock worth ..... A XEON on a good overclocking card is almost a fit, but not quite. Then again, the 5960X has 8 cores, 16 threads, that match up with a lot of the XEONs.

While the motherboard and processor are here now, there is rumor that the next great leap in video cards is just around the corner, but aren't they always. If buying now, the GeForce GTX 980 from nvidia is sweeping all the records. It draws less power and runs cooler than the latest from AMD or the previous generation of nvidia. The issue with obsolescence is that nvidia usually puts out an upgraded revision with 'ti' suffix just about now in the product life cycle.

As for which one, I may be jeopardizing my welcome here. The ASUS Matrix Poseidon model is factory overclocked and has the opportunity built in for water cooling. A EVGA model with 'Classified' in the title may be stiff competition.

At ultra high def resolutions, 2, 3 or even 4 GTX 980s in SLI may be what a 'cost-no-object' rig would go for. Note from many reviews that there are diminishing returns. I have concluded that 3-way SLI gives a small positive return over 2-way. 4-way isn't worth the extra power burned.

I'm sure others will be along with their ideas about DDR4 RAM, SSDs and power supplies. Have fun.

Jeff

Chino
Level 15
This should give you a nice start.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($1006.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($449.45 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($452.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($257.04 @ Newegg)
Other: EK-KIT X360 ($425.99)
Total: $4867.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-19 00:46 EST-0500

winter117a
Level 7
Thanks for the responses, gents!

Lots of good thoughts and ideas to think about. I had never heard of the company that produces that water cooling system; I checked out the website and am definitely impressed. Will be seriously considering them for this upcoming system.

Couple questions:

What is the best 980 currently being produced? And is it worth waiting for the 980 TI to come out? Any links to rumors of the specs so that I can inspect it myself?

Are Titans worth their money anymore? (If I can find one available online lol)

When it comes to future proofing, I have heard the i7-5930k can actually achieve higher clock speeds than the i7-5960X. I love the idea of throwing the i7-5960X just for the peace of mind, but with future proofing in mind, is it actually better to go for more cores or a higher potential clock speed?

As always, please feel free to post more ideas! Would love to get a good conversation going.

winter117a wrote:
Thanks for the responses, gents!

Lots of good thoughts and ideas to think about. I had never heard of the company that produces that water cooling system; I checked out the website and am definitely impressed. Will be seriously considering them for this upcoming system.

Couple questions:

What is the best 980 currently being produced? And is it worth waiting for the 980 TI to come out? Any links to rumors of the specs so that I can inspect it myself?

Are Titans worth their money anymore? (If I can find one available online lol)

When it comes to future proofing, I have heard the i7-5930k can actually achieve higher clock speeds than the i7-5960X. I love the idea of throwing the i7-5960X just for the peace of mind, but with future proofing in mind, is it actually better to go for more cores or a higher potential clock speed?

As always, please feel free to post more ideas! Would love to get a good conversation going.

EKWB is pretty well known in the custom watercooling world. I have the exact same EK-KIT X360 and it's pretty awesome for a starter kit. You can see the results here: i7-5960X Watercooling Results With EK-KIT X360

There is no official word on a GTX 980Ti. So you might find yourself waiting for a long time assuming that NVIDIA has one planned. 😉 Titans are more of a workstation GPU then gaming. The i7-5930K has fewer cores than the i7-5960X so it should be able to overclock more. In the end, it all depends on what you do with your system. If you don't need the firepower, go with the cheaper i7-5930K.

jab383
Level 13
My opinions (YMMV) are: The next 980 is worth waiting for. EVGA GeForce GTX980 Classified has the highest factory overclock, multiple BIOS selections and a great reputation - and by those criteria is currently the best. The Titans are obsolete to the point that a single 980 GPU is running as fast or faster, depending on the test, with much less power than the dual-GPU of a titan.

The six core Haswell-E will certainly clock faster than the 8-core version. Both are the latest generation and will serve for years into the future - provided you remain satisfied with one after the next generation comes out. Future-proofing depends more on the motherboard's ability to accept the next generation of Extreme Edition CPUs.

Higher clocking works well for some artificial benchmarks that use one or a few cores at a time - SuperPi comes to mind here. An old Sandy Bridge 4-core will beat the i7-5960X just because it clocks faster. More modern artificial tests, modern games and virtually any real work benefit more from the higher core/thread count. Check the processor benchmarks and rankings at

http://hwbot.org/

The 5930K leads the 5960X where few cores are sufficient. The 5960X thrives on the more complex multi-threaded tests. What's your criterion?

Jeff

winter117a
Level 7
Awesome. Thanks for the help and the ideas.

I think I am decided on the Rampage V Extreme. It was between that and the cheaper ASUS Deluxe, but my goal is to future proof here, so I think grabbing the extra features provided by the Extreme would be worthwhile. Also, since I will be purchasing an open box model through my local MicroCenter, I will be getting for around $315 after 25% open box discount. I've been scouring the interwebs for a better deal and I just can't find one. Shoot me a link if any of you can.

I'm leaning towards two 980's at this point. I don't particularly want to wait for the 980 TI for the reasons listed above. While it will probably make a performance difference, I can't see two 980's in SLI making anything unplayable. If it is, I can always throw a third one in there down the road. I still haven't decided on which 980 ill be going for; will update you all once I do decide.

Unless something changes, I will be grabbing the 5960X as (once again) I'm getting a great deal through MIcroCenter. Last time I checked, they were offering it in-store for $899. That's about $200 cheaper than NewEgg. Once again, if someone finds it cheaper, let me know.

I will be water cooling the entire setup with a custom solution. I haven't decided on which company; I will update when I do. However, I am not totally in love with the case suggested here. Are there any other suggestions out there? I am partial to the CM Storm Stryker. Am I barking up the wrong tree with that case? NewEgg selling it for $151.99 after a $10 mail-in-rebate.

I don't know if I want to grab a 1TB SSD... debating going for a 256GB and grabbing two 500GB Raptors in Raid 0 to hold games and programs. Two 3TB HDD's will be used for photos, videos, and other programs that don't need to take up space on the Raptors or SSD. The OS (Windows 7) will go on the SSD. Anyone have thoughts on that plan?

jab383
Level 13
Windows goes well on an SSD, except ... The Program Data and Users folders have more writing activity that has been said to wear down SSDs prematurely.

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/119213d1291161650-user-profiles-create-move-during-...

This gives a method of installing just the Program Data and Users folders to HDD and the rest of the OS to SSD.

Jeff

winter117a
Level 7
Well, made my first couple purchases tonight. I went with Corsair on the case and the power supply, picking up the 900D and the AX1200i 1200W power supply from NewEgg. I chose Corsair over the SeaSonic due to a massive discount ($120 off plus $30 mail-in-rebate) on the Corsair power supply and after hearing numerous people sing Corsair's praises. Definitely getting excited about this build; still not sure what color scheme I should go with, though black and red is the obvious first choice.

Any thoughts on the power supply and/or suggestions on color scheme? My plan is to sleeve all the fan and power supply cables and any suggestions on what color to go with would be awesome. Thinking white at the moment; might look really cool with two GALAX HOF 980s since they have that white PCB with a silverish back plate. Plus, benchmarks are showing that the HOF's are outpacing the EVGA Classified when it comes to water-cooled overclocking. IDK. Thoughts?

wireghost
Level 7
I wish that I'd gone with Dominator Platinum, Instead of Crucial Sport. SomethingI may end up doing later and selling x2 Sport 32GB kits that have synced. But I respect Chino's G-skill Ripjaws suggestion, and something I personally need to look into. I do ant to forego the RE5 for the X99 Deluxe, just to see (but personally, I do little gaming. Lots of VMs and other), so I can appreciate your inclination towards the Xeon. Just some things I really wish I'd waited for and researched.