cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help For Memory Configuration

dantescrak05
Level 7
Hi guys.
Due to compatibility problems of my Kit, I have decided to buy a new kit but this time I want to make sure it is one that gives me good stability and speed in my machine, and that it will be useful for a future update of the CPU, among my search I found the G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW in a 4x16 kit with a maximum frequency of 3200MHZ and times of 14-14-14-34, my motherboard is an X99-PRO / USB 3.1 and my cpu is an Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition, I have heard that the current bios of this motherboard allow to run 3200Mhz, but my doubt is in the CPU since intel says it supports up to 2133Mhz in memory channels.

my questions are:
1. my configuration of motherboard and CPU if they support the 3200Mhz without problems and with total stability?

2. Has anyone tested this hardware configuration and can you testify its stability?

I said in advance that I want to buy the 3200Mhz kit because in the future I want to upgrade the CPU to one based on Broadwell-E which according to G-Skill if they easily support the 3200Mhz.

*I hope and I can help

https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-64gtzsw
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
I have used 4x8 kits of the same timings without any issues, and 2 4x8 kits for 8x8 without issue, the 16GB modules may be a little tougher on the IMC so I cannot say for certain.
Haswell-E is good to 3200MHZ, Broadwell-E to 3400 using 4x8 or 8x8 modules.
I assume you can get them to run at rated speed with some tuning

Menthol wrote:
I have used 4x8 kits of the same timings without any issues, and 2 4x8 kits for 8x8 without issue, the 16GB modules may be a little tougher on the IMC so I cannot say for certain.
Haswell-E is good to 3200MHZ, Broadwell-E to 3400 using 4x8 or 8x8 modules.
I assume you can get them to run at rated speed with some tuning

Would you recommend that instead of buying a 4x16 kit, buy an 8x8 kit?

Menthol
Level 14
You need to make your own decision as what to purchase, I have never tried any kits with 16GB modules myself.
The kits with 16GB modules may be a little more difficult to run at rated speed but I cannot say from personnel experience
I own 2 of the 32GB 4x8 3200mhz kits and did run them together without issue
I would say if you are sure 64GB's is all you'll ever need go with the 8x8 kit, if you think you may someday need 128GB then the 4x16 kit is probably the correct choice