cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive functional, but not on the laptop that i need

Touch_Me_Senpai
Level 7
So, i bought my new ROG and i got a good deal on it, with the extra money i bought a really good hard drive. After going to school i realized that i could simply switch out the hard drive on my old laptop and it might work: so i did just that. I used the hard drive on the ROG computer to try it out and see if it works before buying a new Hard drive. So i was right and it works, the good news is that i have a bad ass ROG computer and this Lenovo laptop and the hard drive will switche form laptop to laptop and is functional. Now the real dilemma is that when i switch the hard drive back to my ROG laptop the mouse will not function, the camera will not function and basically i cant plug in anything into it of even use the USB ports, which is a big deal because that is my gaming laptop. If anyone is out there please. send help.
thank you
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
You cant just randomly switch drives back and forth. Keep on doing it and I guarantee your OS will lock slam up and you will be dead in the water.
These are two completely different machines with different hardware and therefore different drivers. Even if you had two identical machines the environment variable will be different and windows will deactivate.

Now if the drive is simply used for data you can swap it all you want, but never a drive with the OS installed on it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You cant just randomly switch drives back and forth. Keep on doing it and I guarantee your OS will lock slam up and you will be dead in the water.
These are two completely different machines with different hardware and therefore different drivers. Even if you had two identical machines the environment variable will be different and windows will deactivate.

Now if the drive is simply used for data you can swap it all you want, but never a drive with the OS installed on it.

so is there any way i can just wipe the hard drive and put it back into my ROG and get a crappy one and put it into my lenovo?

Zka17
Level 16
If you already swapped the drive between two laptops, then more likely the OS is messed up with different drivers...
Best to do a fresh install for both laptops on their own drive...