cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU doesn’t fit

vampireor
Level 7
Hello & Welcome 🌚❤️

Im running into a small issue and need some advice , and whats better than to come here ,, so first of all lets take a look at my specs that i already have under my desk*

*CPU: i3-7100 3.9 GHz
*Ram: Random 8Gb stick ram
*CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3
*PSU: Delco 600W (Total Max)
*GPU: GTX Msi 960 2Gb
*Motherboard: Asus Prime H270
*Fans: Corsair HD120 RGB ( Three Fans )
*Case: Thermal Take core P3*

So here’s the thing , I’m upgrading to ( Sapphire vega 56 pulse 8Gb ) and that GPU requires a big case and my case is big enought but the middle fan of the three corsair fans is blocking it ( im not sure if only 1 of them is blocking there might be the last one also blocking not quite sure ) so i thought , instead of buying the ( CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ) case , i save those extra bucks and upgrade my CPU since there is the Ryzen comptex thingy coming and my CPU is not good with that GPU , or i upgrade my rams to 2*8 instead of this crappy ram , or i buy my self a semi modular PSU better than this one?, or i upgrade my motherboard , Soo can anyone manage to know if i remove the middle fan would the GPU fit ( if i can even remove it and its not attached to each others ),, or shall i get a new case ? ,, and what shall i upgrade instead of the case and can u tell me which part and whats the new part?*
A picture is attached so u can know what im saying about the fans 🙂 . M

I'm from the UAE , Speceficly Abu Dhabi ,, you can use a website called " NewEgg" I have kinda flexible budget , and the build is for gaming mainly
Thanks! 🙏🏻*

Best regards!
~Omar*
33 REPLIES 33

vampireor wrote:
I can't find the new GPU that I want to buy in a few day's in the bottleneck checker tab ? can you tell me where can I find it or what is the same as it? I only find my gtx 960

Games should be using your GPU more than your CPU. As stated, this is normal.

I can't find your card on there either. Perhaps they don't have data on that particular card yet so it's not available.

S4lticid wrote:
Games should be using your GPU more than your CPU. As stated, this is normal.

I can't find your card on there either. Perhaps they don't have data on that particular card yet so it's not available.

Okay so, I wouldn't find many issues in the game with the new GPU w old CPU right ? since I am waiting for Computex, I can play any game 60+ fps right: x?

and for the website, I can use the GTX 1070 instead of my card cus it has similar performance?

There is far more benefit to liquid cooling than just high FPS, and in fact both a monitor (with a great refresh rate) and some games will limit your FPS to where the higher frame rates you can get from base cards at stock BIOS are pretty much moot, never mind liquid cooled and OC'd.

The biggest point to Liquid Cooling is lower temperatures. Sometimes by up to 25c. This means several things:
* ability to reach Higher Voltages and Clock Speeds when OverClocking
* Not reaching temps where your component Temperature Throttles
* Less wear and tear on your components under load, especially when OC-ing - thus longer life
* if you live in a hot climate, it also keeps your temps cooler
* quieter systems, almost silent unless under benchmarking loads.
* Faster cooling when dropping load on your components

To that last I disagree that it takes more time to cool down a liquid cooled rig, because of physics: Water conducts heat better than metal, which is why water cooling systems are better at cooling. The heat is dissipating off of metal anyway, as it's dissipating off radiator fins just like in an air cooler, however you have more surface area to dissipate heat from, more air flow over that area, and heat being carried to them from a better heat conductor. And lastly, when you start at a lower temperature to begin with, you're already starting lower than an OC'd CPU or GPU under load in air. Add the rest and you drop lower faster.

For Example. My general surfing and work temps don't get above 32c. Usually in gaming on ultra settings I don't get over 42c. I ran a base benchmark - not OC'd yet - last night and didn't get over 54c on my GPU in Superposition. Once I stopped the test I was back down to 32c in less than a second. You can find similar results on any water cooling channel in You Tube for video proof.

There is minimal risk involved in liquid cooling and anyone would be silly to ignore that. Just like there's risk in Overclocking. Leaks though are rare with good AIOs. It's a huge market and wouldn't do so well as it does if this were really a big issue. The bigger problem is loss of cooling if your AIO is cheap and clogs. And if you do a custom loop, taking care to properly leak check and then maintain your system. Even then, the liquid used is non-conductive and remains so for a long time. Taking care of your system and monitoring it - as you definitely should anyway if you OC - you're likely to notice an issue before it causes any damage.

While I state that Cooler Temps = Higher Clock Speeds and Better all around performance and life, and will point to the real OC champs being the LN2 Coolers as yet more proof of this, I also agree that much of the performance gain is not something the average gamer would notice with their own senses, or really even need. Like I said, your FPS is limited by your monitor and often by the game itself, and that's not the only stat. Movies and TV frames are 32 to 34 FPS because the Human Eye can't actually process much faster than that. Unless you're a competitive gamer or OC-er, the reaction times will mean little to you, and even the best competitive gamers can't make use of all the reaction headroom they get with the best rigs out there.

All this said, in the end it comes down to enthusiasts who like the look and the challenge and pushing their systems and their knowledge. It's up to you what you want to do and what you like. Air can do the job just fine. But it doesn't do the very best and imo it doesn't look as clean or as nice. But then I must be one of those girls who like high frame rates and bling. 😉

vampireor wrote:
And about my case fans i will just disattach them all

And for the CPU cooler , since im buying a good cpu shall i buy the “noctune or whatever its called ,, ( the grey and brown cooler ) so i can overclock it easily or my cooler is good for now*

People will recommend an AIO but I'm a huge proponent of air coolers for several reasons:

a.) they fill the case up nicely.

2.) there is no risk of water damage to your components. And;

D.) the CPU cools faster when not under load, as it takes water to cool longer than metal.

These pros outweigh the performance benefits you get from an AIO or custom loop. For me, anyway. There are people that want 1 million fps at 1080p on Final Fantasy 2 so that they can go an tell their friends that their dads can beat up their dads. Waste of money and the pride is misplaced.

Unless you know a girl who is impressed by fps. Then pull out all the stop signs and show her some RTX reflections.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

vampireor wrote:
Alright ,, shall i do what u said above or shall i switch to intel ?

It wouldn't be switch. You're using Intel.

vampireor wrote:
Alright ,, shall i do what u said above or shall i switch to intel ?

Don't get rid of your fans. Position them so they do not obstruct the VGA and have them blow air over your components. Refer to the blue arrow in the picture:

If the sole purpose of your build was gaming then an Intel/Nvidia lineup would be the only recommendation. My suggestion, based on planned usage would be to switch to AMD. Ryzen provides more versatility at reduced cost. And your gaming performance won't take a big hit, either.

At what resolution will you be gaming? The higher the resolution, the better AMD components perform. For 1080p you might want to consider Nvidia if you find a 1070 or 1070 Ti that's cheaper than the 56 Pulse.

panzlock wrote:
Don't get rid of your fans. Position them so they do not obstruct the VGA and have them blow air over your components. Refer to the blue arrow in the picture:

If the sole purpose of your build was gaming then an Intel/Nvidia lineup would be the only recommendation. My suggestion, based on planned usage would be to switch to AMD. Ryzen provides more versatility at reduced cost. And your gaming performance won't take a big hit, either.

At what resolution will you be gaming? The higher the resolution, the better AMD components perform. For 1080p you might want to consider Nvidia if you find a 1070 or 1070 Ti that's cheaper than the 56 Pulse.

Well first of all , how shall i make my fan back stick to air 😅? Since there are nothing that i can stick it on to from the side ? , or maybe im just too stupid and didnt think enought, well let me borrow some ideas from you , and how shall i do it ,, ( remember there are nothing on the left right top and bottom sides littearly open ) , ik that u know this but eh 💀

And ill be gaming on a 1080p since my monitor is nothing good , its a full hd view sonic 60hz , ill be upgrading to 144hz or 165 soon , but slowley 😅🙏🏻*

Althought i dont care much abt resolution or quality of the game , its all abt how smooth is it. But if it can run a good resolution,, why not 😋*

** Edit :- unless you are talking abt another case maybe?*

vampireor wrote:
Well first of all , how shall i make my fan back stick to air ��? Since there are nothing that i can stick it on to from the side ? , or maybe im just too stupid and didnt think enought, well let me borrow some ideas from you , and how shall i do it ,, ( remember there are nothing on the left right top and bottom sides littearly open ) , ik that u know this but eh ��

And ill be gaming on a 1080p since my monitor is nothing good , its a full hd view sonic 60hz , ill be upgrading to 144hz or 165 soon , but slowley ������*

Althought i dont care much abt resolution or quality of the game , its all abt how smooth is it. But if it can run a good resolution,, why not ��*

** Edit :- unless you are talking abt another case maybe?*

I was going to suggest a bracket for mounting the fans. There are ways to stick things on when you have the will.

If you plan on getting a new case that would be fine, too. What you have there is a case optimal for a water loop. Ideally you want a fan moving air over your components regardless of cooling solution. Despite your case being open, you still want some circulation to help the air around the components dissipate. Otherwise your CPU cooler is just sucking the warm VGA air right up into the core, to give you just one example. The motherboard, VRM's, PCH and RAM all get warm, too. Show them some love.

But don't worry, you're young and a PC building virgin so we'll let it slide. We made our share of mistakes growing up, as well. When I was 6 I thought kissing got girls pregnant.And by 16 years old I couldn't holster my tongue. See the difference experience makes? *thumbs up*

vampireor wrote:
Well look , I’m still 16 and in my country u can’t have a job at this age ( Dubai Laws ) , and so i take money from my parents like weekly about 70$+ , and whenever i ask for money i get , so the budget is flexible, i aint gonna buy a cheap cpu then have to upgrade it later , i will have some suffring with this CPU at the begging but I’ll end it with a beast , so this rig is ment for gaming , and who knows i might open a youtube channel , so a bit of rendering you know ,, I’m willing to pay any amount,, shall i wait for computex or buy a CPU from Ryzen now or what shall i do and what shall i buy

Yeah, figured you situation was something like that from what you were saying.

OK, so you say you're willing to suffer with this CPU for now and wait. That makes sense to me. And since you have a strong allowance to help you save, this is what I would suggest:

• Get this GPU for now. I wouldn't call it a beast, but it's good.
  • Save for a really nice CPU (and depending on the CPU you get think about upgrading your Motherboard at the same time)

Why a new Motherboard? You mentioned going Ryzen. You will need a different board for that. And actually, it's an interesting idea if you're waiting and saving. Coming this July AMD is leaping well ahead of Intel and releasing the Zen2 line. If you're waiting and saving, it's more than worth considering going that direction.

If you stick to Intel, plan for an i7 at the least. Personally I never go lower than that for gaming. You wouldn't need to upgrade your motherboard and could instead get some faster RAM.

After you're done with that, consider getting an aio liquid cooler for the CPU. It would go great in that case and help your gaming.
At this point too, consider updating your GPU again with a real beast.

Builds are never actually done. there's always something new and awesome that just came out to look forward to upgrading to.

S4lticid wrote:
Yeah, figured you situation was something like that from what you were saying.

OK, so you say you're willing to suffer with this CPU for now and wait. That makes sense to me. And since you have a strong allowance to help you save, this is what I would suggest:

• Get this GPU for now. I wouldn't call it a beast, but it's good.
  • Save for a really nice CPU (and depending on the CPU you get think about upgrading your Motherboard at the same time)

Why a new Motherboard? You mentioned going Ryzen. You will need a different board for that. And actually, it's an interesting idea if you're waiting and saving. Coming this July AMD is leaping well ahead of Intel and releasing the Zen2 line. If you're waiting and saving, it's more than worth considering going that direction.

If you stick to Intel, plan for an i7 at the least. Personally I never go lower than that for gaming. You wouldn't need to upgrade your motherboard and could instead get some faster RAM.

After you're done with that, consider getting an aio liquid cooler for the CPU. It would go great in that case and help your gaming.
At this point too, consider updating your GPU again with a real beast.

Builds are never actually done. there's always something new and awesome that just came out to look forward to upgrading to.

Yeah , That's perfect , that is what I’ll do exactly. *