cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting WHEA_UNCONTROLLABLE_ERROR with sli enabled

ben1england
Level 7
Hey guys, got a big issue. I have the strix 1080 a8g in sli with the rampage v edition 10 mobo. When sli is enabled, win10 64 crashes with an error saying WHEA_UNCONTROLLABLE_ERROR. I have checked both gpu's and they function just fine on their own. All drivers are updated. Appreciate if anyone could help!
11 REPLIES 11

Menthol
Level 14
Sorry to hear your having issues
Do you have your CPU or memory overclocked? XMP memory set?, try F5 defaults to see if this helps
What power supply are you using? do you have separate power cables for each card?
Your OS could be corrupted and need re installed, or a driver conflict of some kind

Do you have your CPU or memory overclocked?
No, I don't. It started immediately from the get go...

XMP memory set?
XMP is disabled.

try F5 defaults to see if this helps
Still on default in the bios

What power supply are you using?
Corsair AX860

do you have separate power cables for each card?
Yes, no daisy chaining is used

Your OS could be corrupted and need re installed, or a driver conflict of some kind
Reinstalled the OS multiple times, as well as ran chkdsk. Tried a previous driver, as well as installing only NVIDIA after a clean install of Win10.

My previous mobo is the Rampage V Extreme 3.1. SLI worked fine there. I am seriously considering it's mobo related only.

Nate152
Hi ben1england

Both cards tested ok individually in the RV E10 and have you tested both pcie slots you're using?

Normally the WHEA errors are stability related, meaning an unstable overclock = not enough voltage. Your psu should have enough power for 1080's in SLI but for testing, would you have a spare psu to try ?

I had the same PSU on the rampage v extreme 3.1. I don't have a spare PSU unfortunately. I did test each PCIE slot separately as well. No issues there.

hang on, it might be a card issue after all. Second card can't be find now...

nope, looks like its the mobo. when i insert a gpu into the 3rd pcie slot, windows can't find any gpu. nvidia tells me it fails to find a gpu

Nate152
All right

I'm not sure if the R5 E10 has the dip switches but if it does make sure slots 1 and 3 are switched on.

If it does and they're switched on, it looks like you've pin pointed it to a faulty PCIe slot.

Well, I wish it were the case... I just changed out the motherboard for the R5E3.1, and guess what! The exact same thing is happening. One of these two cards is faulty in SLI. It's not the mobo, it's not the SLI bridge. It's one of these two cards. On their own, they are just fine, but one of them, perhaps both is no good in SLI.