cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting new Hard Drive

Rusty_S85
Level 7
Im looking at getting a new hard drive. How ever I haven't opened my Asus G11 case up yet. I want to do the hard drive install when I open the case up.

Currently I have a friend that is urging me to go with the Seagate Firecuda 2TB hard drive and wanted to ask if anyone on here ever used this harddrive before?

I also wanted to ask if anyone ever installed this harddrive before on an Asus G11?

I never did anything to a computer, Ive always made due with what I had till it was time to get a whole new pc. So this will be the first time I will be messing with the innards of a computer. So I don't know if this drive will plug in and work with this computer. If anyone can give some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

The other hard drive I am looking at is the Seagate Ironwolf 8TB hard drive but its just a plain hard drive not a hybrid SSHD like the Firecuda.
13 REPLIES 13

Rob W. wrote:
I tend to run my games off ssd, much faster! And use hdd’s For bulk storage.
You can load in your games from hdd to ssd for playing, much faster load times in games.*

I want to add a SSD as well. Asus was nice enough to use a daisy chain power supply cable for the hard drives so I got at least one more plug for a SSD. Not sure about the SATAIII. Looks like there are four ports I know one is empty for sure cant see the other to know if its clear. If it is I planned on getting a good sized SSD to run T:H&G through it since it is VR capable and I plan on getting a VR headset just for that game.

Vlada011
Level 10
If he 1TB is enough than WD Black 1TB 2.5" is win.
It would be nice to keep 1TB 2.5", 1TB SSD and 1TB M.2.
If that could fit in laptop.

If not I would go on 1TB SSD SATA III and 1TB M.2.
And 2TB My Passport ULTRA USB 3.0

xeromist
Vlada,
The G11 is a tower PC, not a laptop.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Rusty_S85
Level 7
Yep tall tower one 3.5" drive slot free. But there is one daisy chain power cable left for one more hard drive for me. When I pull the other side panel off to install the other two screws since I got to order screws I will try to see if I can spot the other SATA port on the motherboard if its free then I will be getting a SSD. But for now I got my 2TB Firecuda installed, formatted and now I am currently copying over my Steam folder from my primary drive. Shows up as 670 GB so having a 2TB hard drive for just my steam games should be good. I can then delete my steam folder on my oe drive which will free up most of that 780GB partitioned 1TB drive for non steam games.

Looks like it will all work out good for me. Now if only I didn't lose my house keys today would have ended on a good note.