cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming PC Problems. Please Help!

xanduney
Level 7
Hello,

I will start with a quick explanation about myself. I am a computer repair tech out of Spokane Washington. My job involves a wide variety of activities, from your standard virus removals to building custom gaming and rendering machines. With that being said, I am encountering a problem I have not run into in the past, and after issuing an RMA on almost every component, I'm stuck. I am building a gaming PC for myself, the part list is as follows:

Intel I7-7700k -- CPU
Asus ROG Maximus IX Code --Motherboard
MSI Armor GTX 1080 TI -- GPU
Corsair RM1000I -- PSU
GSkill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 @ 2400 (SKU F4-2400C15D-16GVR) -- RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB x 2 -- SSD
2TB Western Digital Black Enterprise Edition x 3 -- HDD
InWin 509 -- Case
Windows 10 -- OS

So first things first, My Maximus IX Code came physically damaged from newegg. Seeing as how the rear mounting screws for the heat shield were laying loose in the box, with the plastic threads that hold the screws in being completely blown out of the back of the board. So I sent that back and started the build when I received the new product. Everything seemed to go well during the build,(other than the motherboard only having one USB 2.0 header) Naturally, As soon as it was done, I got it home, Installed PUBG and started gaming. Within 3 hours, my PC hard powered off, without bringing itself up. No BSOD, No Error when rebooting, Nothing. I started to dig around and saw that the recommended PSU from MSI was a 600 Watt, The original build had a Corsair RM750X PSU in it. I figured that maybe it was not enough power for the system. I then purchased a Corsair RM1000I and installed it. The problem persisted, so I moved on to more troubleshooting. Next on the chopping block was the CPU. I have heard a bunch of noise from over at Intel regarding the heat issues on the 7700K, so I thought it would be a great place to start. I stuck my PC on Prime95 with HWMonitor running and went to make dinner. I come back about 15 minutes later and see that the max temp on the processor had hit 98C, (which is way too hot for STOCK TEMPERATURES) and it was sitting at 88C with prime 95 running. However, one thing that struck me as extremely awkward, was that core #1 was running at 45C while all the others were almost double. So I ordered up an RMA on the CPU thinking that maybe it was an overheating issue. I received my RMA and slapped it in hoping to be gaming hassle free... 20 minutes go by and my PC shuts down AGAIN. So that's motherboard and CPU replaced with the same recurrent issue... Next up I moved to the RAM... I browsed the QVL and noticed that the GSkill Trident Z RGB (SKU F4-320016D-16GTZR) was not on that list. So I swapped it out with some GSkill RipjawsV (SKU F4-2400C15D-16GVR) from my work, and it seemed to work fine. I got on to PUBG and played for a solid 5 hours or so with no crash. So I had a feeling that it was an faulty RAM stick that was causing the issue. Well yesterday I received RAM back from Newegg, and within 10 mins the thing crashed again!!! Last night I did a FurMark BurnIn test on a seperate pc with the GTX 1080 TI and it went for 12 hours no problem. At the same time I put a loaner 260 GPU in the new build and ran it a full 12 hours (also on FurMark) with no crash. I am really at a dead end here guys!!!

EDIT: After putting the GTX 1080TI back in the original system and running a burnin test again, the system shut down after approximately 2 hours. with a GPU temp averaging around 78c.

So here I am... Pulling my Hair out...Not sure where to go next. Any Advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

this seems to be an ongoing issue. I have isolated it to ONLY happening when my GPU is under heavy load. I can force it to crash by running either Furmark in 1920x1080 resolution and also by playing PlayerUnknown BattleGrounds. Since the last time I have posted I have sent my MSI GTX 1080 TI Armor OC back to Newegg and purchased a ASUS ROG GTX 1080 TI Strix OC Edition. As I was under the impression that the issue was being caused by a GPU issue. My PC now consists of the following parts:

ROG Maximus IX Code - Motherboard
i7 7700k - CPU
ROG 1080 TI Strix OC - GPU
Corsair H100i v2 - Cooler
Corsair RM1000i - Power Supply
2x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (raid 0)
3x Western Digital Black Enterprise HDD's (2x 1TB 1x 2TB)
NZXT Hue+ - Lighting Kit
Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RAM

Here are what I have tried since my last posting.

RMA'd MSI GTX 1080 TI Armor OC
Using DDU in safe mode to uninstall drivers and complete a clean install
Inserting ROG 1080 TI Strix OC
Changing PSU to "Single Rail Operation"
Using separate cables from the modular PSU to each 8 pin connection on the GPU
Underclocking GPU to -60% Power Limit via MSI Afterburner
Disabling any unnecessary components. (Such as lights, HDD's, etc)
Upgrading from Corsair RM750X to RM1000I PSU

EDIT: Tested with using a completely different PSU to power the GPU (ThermalTake 750W Gold). - Still Shut off.
EDIT2: Replaced Motherboard with MSI Z270-A Pro - Still shut off during FurMark. Lasted 27 minutes.
EDIT3: Replaced CPU with Celeron G3930 and ran FurMark again. Lasted less than 10 minutes.
EDIT4: Replaced Entire PSU with Corsair RM750X - Still crashed
Removed all HDD/SSD from PC and installed Windows 10 on new 256GB Crucial SSD, Rebooted in to safe mode, Used DisplayDriverUninstaller 17.0.6.8 to uninstall all display drivers installed by windows and turn off windows automation of driver installing. Installed Nvidia drivers version 384.76. --Still crashed.

Some things I have noticed:

I have a GTX 760 SC that I put in while doing my RMA process, This card made my PC stable enough to run PlayerUnknown for extended amounts of time with no interruption.
I did not try running FurMark on the 760 SC. I ran my original MSI Armor GTX 1080 TI OC on another machine for 24 hours with no crash. With any GTX 1080 TI in my machine I receive a complete shutdown while running FurMark. It doesn't give any kind of warning before shutting down. No logs occur during this process. No DUMP files, No nothing.

Conclusion: I am lost, It does not make sense for anything other than a power issue. (in which I have already upgraded my PSU to no avail.) My PC is stable with another GPU in there. I am pulling at strings here. I am almost 3500 in to this PC and it is not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anymore info is needed I will be closely monitoring this thread. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this finished.
21 REPLIES 21

Chino
Level 15

Yes, Everything has been at stock the whole time. I tried using XMP on the RAM at once point(before RMA), and only experienced more instability, so I disabled it

xanduney wrote:
Yes, Everything has been at stock the whole time. I tried using XMP on the RAM at once point(before RMA), and only experienced more instability, so I disabled it

Correct.

Is your motherboard running the latest BIOS? Also please disconnect/disable Corsair Link for now and test your system.

I am testing with the altered system agent and vccio voltage. If i experience instability during this I will try disabling the corsair link program. Thank you everybody for the hasty responses! Loving the support!

EDIT: also, my current BIOS Version is 0906

The system is still unstable while running furmark with 1.15v and 1.20v on system agent and cpu vccio. I am running another test now, stock voltages, with all HDDs other than my 2 Samsung 850 Pro's(Raid 0) and the Corsair Link removed on both the PSU and CPU Cooler

xeromist
I would disconnect absolutely everything you can live without and try using different ports where possible. So no front panel headers, different USB ports, different peripherals if possible, boot drive only. Basically anything you can eliminate as a connection that may have an intermittent failure can help you find the culprit.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I would disconnect absolutely everything you can live without and try using different ports where possible. So no front panel headers, different USB ports, different peripherals if possible, boot drive only. Basically anything you can eliminate as a connection that may have an intermittent failure can help you find the culprit.

I really appreciate the advice, I have already tried this, Also if it helps I am using the PC in 2 separate environments, one at work and one at home.

At this point I have swapped out: HDD, CPU, RAM, GPU, everything short of the second Motherboard that i received as an RMA from Newegg. I thought that the problem may lie in the Gskill Trident Z RGB as it is NOT on the ROG QVL. However, the IX Code is on the Gskill QVL. However, I get stability (with the RAM) when I swap out the GTX 1080 TI to GTX 260, It ran ALL night. Also, I put the GTX 1080 TI into my spare PC and ran it all night with no issues.

the 1000W PSU should be enough right?

xanduney wrote:
the 1000W PSU should be enough right?

Yeah, even the 750 would have been fine for a single GPU. You really only need more if you are multi-GPU and/or heavy overclocking.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…