cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming monitor

Arabicuser
Level 7
Hi again,

What are monitors available in markets nowadays that are for gaming?

I was looking for few points or things in a monitor to buy:

1. 120/144Hz
2. 24" minimum, i was thinking if i buy 2 or 3 then going with 27" or 30" will be too much, so with 24" up to 3 monitors if i get will be enough
3. Hope if that response time is low as much as it can be, less than 5ms, but i will not put this as a must have.

Budget is not an issue, say anywhere between $150 up to $400, i try not go more than $300 or 350 but i put that $400 as maximum, i may pay that 400 for 2 monitors if i can find something cheap good with all or most points i mentioned above, if you only find expensive one then just tell me and i will see if i can afford it.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX Titan Windforce
Patriot Viper 32GB[4x 8GB] 2133MHz
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X
9 REPLIES 9

fbm211
Level 7
Asus has an awesome 144hz 24" monitor.plus if you have an nvidia card there is a hack to make it seem like a crt
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

proudpiper
Level 7
I'd also keep in mind what type of display you are buying. A lot of 120 Hz monitors out there are TN panels where as a lot of the 60 Hz monitors are IPS panels. IPS panels are notably superior in picture quality and viewing angles when compared to TN panels so, if you are set on getting a 120 Hz monitor, make sure that you go for an IPS panel. This may raise the price but it is definitely worth it.

B0UJI
Level 7
I have the Dell U2410 and run it in AdobeRGB mode. Absolutely spectacular color.

There is a "Game" mode but I don't use it. I haven't had an issue with the standard response times

Zeruel
Level 7
If you want a TN panel for fast response gaming at 120/144 HZ go for the BENQ XL2420T or ASUS VG248QE. I have the BENQ and it delievers, though viewing angle is short and you have to take the time to adjust the colors manually. TN panels dont have the color quality as IPS panels anyways so its your pick. Plus most IPS panels are 60 HZ so you will be locked at 60 fps rather than a max of 120-144 fps.
Cruel Angel
------------------------------

CPU: i7 4770k 4.7Ghz 1.425v
MB: Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2400Mhz OC) 16GB
GPU: Reference GTX 560Ti ( GTX 880 Coming Soon!)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Mouse: MLG Sensei
KeyBoard: Corsair K70 RED
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

Custom Water Cooling

Thank you very much for all of your answers.

Well, it is a tough decision then, i wasn't sure if i can get that fast monitor frequency with IPS but it seems i am having to choose between 2 options, either IPS for high quality or TN and fast fps, and between the two i can't decide for games, i was thinking a monitor for video and photography too but i have 2 monitors already for my photography workflow high quality, so i was thinking about a monitor only for gaming, i will not make it as my main photography/video monitor.

Also i have a choice to buy a separate monitor only for photography quality things, but if it comes to games and i want to play over 60fps then i have to choose a monitor that is able to go over 60fps for some games.

Also i want to ask, those TN monitors can't be calibrated by colors calibration device? I have a calibrator for monitors and may buy newer version, so this will not help adjusting/calibrating the colors of TN monitors?
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

kkn
Level 14
well if you want a good gaming monitor, then the 144hz one will be good ( can handle 144fps )
look at the hz they are given on and thats how mutch fps you will get.
there are gaming monitors and there are other monitors, it all depends on what you want to use it on.
there may come out new monitors later this year ( around Q4 mabye ) that may support 4K but i dont know, there is one that is coming out in the US soon.

Then i have to wait little bit more and see what will be out sooner or later.

Now i have a question it is almost technical, i have 3 rigs, 1 is still not ready because the PSU is not working [defect and i am in process of replacing it or refund], and the other 2 is working, but one of them i can't use on my Full HD TV at all, the other one i just plug and it plays on my TV and both aren't updated, so why my 3rd rig can't play on my TV via HDMI? Even i tried VGA or DVI to TV HDMI by a specific cable for that, nothing worked so far, only i have to connect it to a computer monitor via DVI or VGA, then why the other one is working fine with HDMI?

I tried the HDMI of the GPU and HDMI of the motherboard and didn't work too, also VGA of mobo/GPU to HDMI of TV didn't work, is there problem with HDMI on that 3rd rig? The another rig i never use any drivers or even at only BIOS it is working with HDMI.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

Is there a technical reason we havent seen a true 120hz 1440p monitor?
Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD

Xaanix wrote:
Is there a technical reason we havent seen a true 120hz 1440p monitor?

It would be expensive! Also these new phones with "Retina" displays(and have 1080p!!) shows how we CAN make pixel density better than it is, but companies are being weak about these things. I want apple to make a Retina display monitor so other companies can follow suit. It we had displays that in theory would be like 50 Iphone displays all lined up that would be epic and we would not have to use Anti-Aliasing as much.
Cruel Angel
------------------------------

CPU: i7 4770k 4.7Ghz 1.425v
MB: Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2400Mhz OC) 16GB
GPU: Reference GTX 560Ti ( GTX 880 Coming Soon!)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Mouse: MLG Sensei
KeyBoard: Corsair K70 RED
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

Custom Water Cooling