cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G713 - can't install SSD because standoff gets in the way

mageus
Level 7
Rog Strix G713

Has anyone else noticed this issue? On the second SSD slot (closer to front of laptop) there is a standoff installed at the 30mm position. This gets in the way of most SSDs. the stock SSD has no chips on the underside, so it doesn't have a problem. It looks like the designers are aware of this problem, since the stock SSD has tape around the 30mm position that appears to be used to protect the board from contact with the standoff. So, you can't use 2 aftermarket SSDs.

2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
There are single sided m.2 drives but it's true they're less common. I gather that standoff is soldered and not threaded for removal? (some stand offs are designed to be removable)
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Here's the response I got from ASUS:
"suggest using the same type of m.2 SSD. Please provide a screenshot of what you are referring to. Different m.2 SSD will have fitting issues."

Looks like there is no solution for almost all of the M.2 SSDs out there.

Since I'm using the second slot for a linux install (dual-boot for emergencies), I just got a cheapo 30mm M.2 SSD.