cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Highend build

Killertofu
Level 7
Hey everyone!

This is not my first build. Most of my builds have been Mid-range builds so I don’t fall too far behind while gaming!

Now I have some money in my pocket I want to get some Higher-end products. I am an AMD fan boy and would like to stick to it.

Currently I have:
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Harddrive: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW
CPU: I7 2.9 GHz 8core (Not sure off hand the rest of the info. Once I get it I will update) <---- Replacing
GPU: 2x 660Ti SLI (Disabled Currently since the Board does not support SLI) <---- Replacing
Motherboard: Asus intel (I don’t have the info right now. I will get it and post it as soon as I can) <---- Replacing
KENTEK 800 Watt 800W 120mm Fan ATX Power Supply
RAIDMAX Raptor ATX-823BR Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case <---- Replacing

Not sure if there is anything else that is needed to be covered if so I will add it.

The bad news is I already bought the following before I came here. So I’m looking to see if what I got was the right way to go. I know, kind of a.. backwards on this.

I’m replacing the above with:
AZZA Solano 1000R Black / Red Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front MicroATX/ATX/Full ATX Computer Case
1x EVGA 03G-P4-3888-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 SLI
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Gaming Motherboard w/ 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX

I’m not sure if I want to try water cooling or just stick with some big fans and heatsink? I think I’m more scared of possible leaks, even with pre-build water cooling systems. If anything messes up I won’t have the money to replace it.

Let me know what you think and if you have questions.

What do you guys think of the parts I’m using to replace and any other suggestions?
Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME EATX LGA1151 | CPU: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card | Ram: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | Cooling: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Case: Rosewill B2-SPIRIT ATX Full Tower Gaming | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | OS: Win 10 64bit
4 REPLIES 4

Tokens210
Level 10
I don't know to much about amd so I can't answer to much there

But when I built my rig I looked into pre-built water coolers, and from what I found most Name brand companies will replace any parts damaged if the unit leaks as long as you didn't tamper with it

Even saw one thread I believe on toms hardware where a guy had a corsair pre built cooler that leaked and corsair payed him $1,200 for new parts

This was awhile ago so I'd say you could look into it as well to ensure it is still this way lol

Also tho just for more info its also been proven in at least some cases that really good air coolers like noctua will actually cooler fairly close to the pre built closed loops, only time and ud normally see massive temp drops would be a full custom loop or extreme cooling

As you can see in my Sig, I got myself the swiftech h320 and besides that fact that it makes noise and I can't seem to make it go away it cools my CPU very well and I'm still running the fans that shipped with it, and its know that replacing them can actually increase my cooling, I just haven't gotten to it yet lol, I live in the USA so getting the cooler wasn't easy lol but from my personal research I liked what I saw
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Thanks Tokens! I ended up having to get the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i. My CPU was runing too hot, around 43c - 50c.

Now I have a different problem, unless the cooler I am getting will solve this as well.

My GPU is running way too hot also, around 60c to 75c on Farcry4 even at Low settings. It seems like even at low setting for Farcry 4 nothing changes. I used the EVGA Program that you can download and set my fans to auto speed up sooner then what was default. But that did not seem to help. Any ideas on what I can do.

Sig specs up to date
Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME EATX LGA1151 | CPU: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card | Ram: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | Cooling: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Case: Rosewill B2-SPIRIT ATX Full Tower Gaming | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | OS: Win 10 64bit

AMD_FX_9370
Level 7
If your going to overclock the cpu and pump up the vcore just monitor the vrm temps as they get very hot !
MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370 @ 4.7GHz 1.45v
COOLING- Xspc raystorm,Xspc RX240 rad, EK C5F-Z wb,Swiftech mcp 655 pump
RAM - 8GB Corsair Dominator @ 2133MHz 9 11 11 31 54 2T 1.65v
GPU - ASUS R9 390X DCII 8GB
HDD - Samsung SSD 250gb evo X2 raid 0/ Segate 1.5tb 7200
PSU - Corsair TX750W
CASE - Corsair 450D
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Killertofu and no your H100i will not help cooling your GPU.

The Corsair H100i should keep your CPU at 5-10c above ambient room temp at idle and 60-65c under load.
I have tried reversing the radiator and fans on my system without much change in case temps, however it is worth considering.
I also installed a small thin fan on the CPU backplate for a 4-5c drop in CPU temp.

Using the ACX cooled GPU is not an issue with "large" cases with plenty of "negative" pressure, however it will become an issue in smaller/more confined cases. Although the ACX cooler outperforms the reference cooler as far as cooling the gpu, it can cause higher temps between other components. The ACX cooler will force the hot air out of the back and sides of the GPU, thus increasing overall ambient temps within the case whereas the reference cooler blows the hot air out the back of the case.

Configuring your case fans to expel as much of the hot air within the case will be the trick.
Try stress testing your system with the front panel of your case off, and a desk fan blowing into your case. Compare the difference.
If there is a 10-15c difference then you will have to add extra or larger extraction fans.
Your case looks great and should do the job as is. Stress testing whilst monitoring temps will determine your requirements.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]