cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback/maybe some advise on my current build

Tokens210
Level 10
Main uses of intended build: Daily Use Browsing, Downloading, Uploading, Games, Movies, Pictures, Music, maybe more but currently thats the jist
Previous build information (list details of parts): 1TB Original Sata Mechanical HDD currently being used from old pc, and 12x Asus bluray combo drive currently being used form old pc
Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080
Will you be overclocking: Yes but not till i get my cooler
----------------------

Case: Cooler Master 932 Advanced ($169.99 USD - Amazon) (Purchased + Using)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula ($279.99 USD - MicroCenter) (Purchased + Installed)
CPU: I7-4770K ($250 USD - MicroCenter) (Purchased + Installed)
PSU: Corsair HX850 ($159.99 USD - MicroCenter) (Purchased + Installed)
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB 1600MHZ ($79.99 USD - MicroCenter) Paid $40 couldn't beat it lol (Purchased + Installed)
GPU: EVGA GTX 560TI (Given to me + Installed)

Planning To Purchase:

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H320 CPU Cooler (not sure if itll even fit in my case but ive seen multiple ppl on the swiftech thread of toms hardware say they got it in the same case)
RAM: 16GB Dominator Platinum 2133MHz CL9 (May drop down MHz and Size or go up depending on price when i purchase)
SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
HDD: WD Black 2TB HDD
Optical: Asus 16x Bluray Combo Drive
GPU: Asus GTX 770 or R9 290X (Currently planning on the 770 with possible future sli for price reasons altho i may wait for price drop and get a 290x)

Currently i was just looking for some feedback on my current build, its up and running im using it to post this but its not done yet, i had just gotten to the point where i bought everything to be able to boot in order to make sure everything was working, within the time frame for me to be able to return any of it if it failed

top section mostly labeled purchased and installed is everything im currently running, planning to purchase section self explanatory lol

basically i did a ton of research and looking into reviews and such before deciding on what parts i wanted but i was just curious to if anyone sees something i may have overlooked, like incompatibilities and such or somewhere where i may wanna go with something better, or even if the build is all good, ive been trolling around the forums for a few weeks now trying to assist ppl with basic troubleshooting and such and ive seen very many knowledgeable ppl on here so i figured why not see what they think
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo
7 REPLIES 7

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Change the SSD Disk to a Samsung EVO 240. Do yourself a favor and look at what it's going for special today on Amazon $139... http://amzn.com/B00E3W1726 I would buy it immediately at that price.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Tokens210
Level 10
thx for the advice and the link lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Tokens210
Level 10
im almost at the point to upgrade my ram now, and i understand that i want a single kit instead of 2 separate ones, but currently im undecided on the type i should buy

i plan on doing mainly a whole lot of gaming, video watching, maybe even streaming to other devices from the pc but my little brother sometimes does photoshop things so im figuring on some 2133MHz, im not really interested in the bragging rights of the 2400MHz, nor do i think id need it as well as im not really interested in pushing the controller to its limits lol

as for size im still deciding on 16GB (2x8) or 32gb (4x8), i know theres absolutely no way id use the 32gb but my plan if i went that way would be to create a ram disk to store some of my most played games on and things like that, as i dont typically just play games, but in the case of games like fallout's, and elder scrolls games i usually install almost 20gb purely in mods to make everything within the games be a better 1080p, and i know most of the work will fall on my video card but the loading and storage of said mods will be more reliant on the system

anyway my main reason for the post is compatibility, as some of the sites info seems to differ, i was looking at g.skill as there ram has identical specs but is half the price of corsair (some of the corsair ram is just plain crazy priced lol) and altho i wasent to crazy about the color scheme of them i came across these

F3-2133C9Q-32GXH - 32GB (4x8)
F3-2133C9D-16GXH - 16GB (2x8)

on g.skills page there listed as dual/quad channel memory altho its the only dual/quad they had listed that i saw that didnt specifically state that it was created for 2011 chipset which had me put off a little bit

but on newegg its listed as just a dual channel memory kit

as i havent decided on size yet my question is will this work fine in my build?

or are there better options in my range of 2133??, i was drawn to these because of price and also cause there 2133 with a CL of 9

or are there better options in my range of 2133 that also match ROG red/black scheme, i saw the trident X series matches the scheme and matches these sticks in speed and timing yet on newegg atleast i couldnt find a 32gb kit but only a 16gb, which may be the way i go if i decide on 16 gb

kkn
Level 14
g-skill have a ram calk that can help you.
that way you can find the kit that is compatible whit that motherboard.

Tokens210
Level 10
thx for the quick answer kkn, the g skill config is how i found the 16GB kit i listed above, the 32GB one i found being linked with the 16GB one on a site that allowed you to choose the size of the kit like amazon typically does, but only the 16GB is on the config list

im guessing it would be safe for me to assume that if the QVL on the gskill page has the VI Extreme, Gene, Hero and or Impact that it should work for me as well lol cause so far every kit i choose bigger then 16GB only shows them ones currently, not sure if its cause the formula came out later or if they just never tested it lol

cause currently after reading and going back to the site i found the trident X F3-2133C9Q-32GTX which shows the VI extreme, gene and hero but again only the 16GB kit showed on the ram config thing they have for my board, which had led me to believe that the config tool is linked to there QVL

also dont wanna leave this out, absolutely love your tappy fingers gangsta cat lol makes me laugh everytime i pass it scrolling thru the forums

kkn
Level 14
day to day use you dont need more then 8gig.
for rendering and photoshop and heavyer program 16-32gig.
i have 16 and use a fraction of it realy.
thats just game. browsing and video watching.

Tokens210
Level 10
yea, im leaning toward 16GB currently, as i said only thought i had behind 32 woulda been a massive ramdisk, but that be most likely a waste seeing as even if i made it 16GB i still wouldnt be able to fit my fallout games on it lol there like 20-30GB lol

ill most likely go 16GB (2x8GB), even tho realistically i can probly get away with 8gb as you stated, for 16gb of gskill the price isnt that high so i may just go that route then just forget it knowing i got more then enough lol

again tho thx for responding and helping me bounce my ideas around