Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimm.2 modules with ROG board

Deckard_51
Level 7
Hello

I am looking for an answer to the following question:
Is the size of the Dimm.2 module (and the slot) for ssd drives in Asus motherboards universal?
i.e. whether the module, e.g. from the Rog Maximus board, will be fit the Rog Omega x299 board?

Thanks in advance for your answers
11 REPLIES 11

RedSector73
Level 12
The Omega is DDR4
Maximus (which version) ?

What version of Maximus I do not know, unfortunately.
This is about this module:

RedSector73 wrote:
The Omega is DDR4
Maximus (which version) ?

DIMM.2 is not DDR-anything, it's a couple of NVMe M.2 storage slots that just looks physically similar to DDR. It is a proprietary ASUS thing, a way to mount a couple of extra M.2 drives perpendicular to the motherboard for both space and cooling.

On the original question, I don't know if the modules are compatible between different boards. On the one hand, there shouldn't be much need to change the pinouts on the slot between different boards. On the other, ASUS are constantly innovating and might have some reason that they did change the pinouts. I'd be cautious about using anything other than the DIMM.2 module that is included with the board. You also probably shouldn't use a DIMM.2 module from a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard on a PCI-E 4.0 system, as the module may not be capable of reliably operating at 4.0 speeds (if the pinouts are the same). The boards are likely only tested with the DIMM.2 module that ships with them, so using the "wrong" module probably puts you into untested territory where you could get some glitchy behaviour.

Murph_9000 wrote:
DIMM.2 is not DDR-anything, it's a couple of NVMe M.2 storage slots that just looks physically similar to DDR. It is a proprietary ASUS thing, a way to mount a couple of extra M.2 drives perpendicular to the motherboard for both space and cooling.

On the original question, I don't know if the modules are compatible between different boards. On the one hand, there shouldn't be much need to change the pinouts on the slot between different boards. On the other, ASUS are constantly innovating and might have some reason that they did change the pinouts. I'd be cautious about using anything other than the DIMM.2 module that is included with the board. You also probably shouldn't use a DIMM.2 module from a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard on a PCI-E 4.0 system, as the module may not be capable of reliably operating at 4.0 speeds (if the pinouts are the same). The boards are likely only tested with the DIMM.2 module that ships with them, so using the "wrong" module probably puts you into untested territory where you could get some glitchy behaviour.

Misread the post. my bad, thanks.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
DIMM.2 module should work cross platform, yes. Although I haven't tried personally.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Tekamine
Level 10
Deckard.51 wrote:
Hello

I am looking for an answer to the following question:
Is the size of the Dimm.2 module (and the slot) for ssd drives in Asus motherboards universal?
i.e. whether the module, e.g. from the Rog Maximus board, will be fit the Rog Omega x299 board?

Thanks in advance for your answers

It defenitely works with the Apex versions, that have the same Dimm slot for it, but about other brands, no clue.

i have 1 ssd installed into this unit, should i have 2? also, my MB is not recognizing the 1 ssd in the unit. what am i missing?

Did you ever find a solution? I have an ssd installed on the riser and both my mobo and windows is unable to detect the ssd. 

Is the storage device new? Go to Disk Management to initialise it.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090