cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula USB 2 Headers

Alan
Level 7
Hey hey everyone,

Haven't been here for a while as I'm mid way through a massive project upgrading my PC to watercooling & 2x EVGA 780 ti sc's, AMD 9590 cpu and a few other upgrades (I will be posting pics in a few weeks when its done!).

My question is regarding the USB2 headers on the mobo. I have one header connected to 2 USB2 ports on the front of the machine so that leaves one socket header free... I've just purchased MainBoard 4 Ports USB 2.0 Header Bracket Extension Cable - please click to view.

The item seems to have 2 single header line connections so I want to know whether I could connect these both to the mobo? The mobo USB header obviously has 2 lines of pins but I'm worried about plugging both headers in the socket, one on top of another.

If anyone could advise then that'd be great. My gut feeling is that I could only connect one of these headers in the socket - if that is the case, could you advise why the mobo has 2 lines in the socket and if anything else useful could utilise the free space?

Many thanks and happy OC'ing 🙂
Alan
4 REPLIES 4

Chef
Level 7
What the hell do you need two 780 Ti's in SLI for? **** I run one R9 280x and it does everything I want it to.
MOBO > Asus Crosshair V Formula Bios Ver. 1102
CPU & Cooler > Coolermaster V8
MEMORY > G.Skill Ares 8GB
POWER SUPPLY > Corsair AX850
VIDEO CARD > Powercolor AX6850 x2
HDDs > 1 WD Caviar Black 1tb, 1 Corsair F60 SSD
BURNERS > Multi Asmedia port
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Misc.
O/S > Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit Build 7601

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Yes both of the connectors should be able to be plugged into the motherboard USB header.

Chef wrote:
What the hell do you need two 780 Ti's in SLI for? **** I run one R9 280x and it does everything I want it to.

Lol yeah I know it's all a little extreme but just want to get the sense of achievement from thinking I couldn't of tried harder to get the full potential from the finished build :)...

Basically the finished build will consist of:
MOBO:____ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Sound:____ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1
CPU:______AMD FX-9590 8 Core @ 5.2/5.6 + XSPC Raystorm copper waterblock
RAM:______32GB 1866Mhz G-Skill Trident CL8 + xspc copper ram block + 4x xspc side panels
GPU:______2x EVGA GTX 780ti sc + 2x xspc Razor 780 waterblock (want to support 2 occulus rifts in 2015 with as much headroom as poss)
PSU:______Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W
Case:_____Antec 1200 v3
OS HDD:__Corsair Force Series 3 240GB SSD
Storage drive: seagate 5600rpm 2tb
Fan contollers: 2x koolance CTR-CD1224 + 2 x flow sensors. 1x Scythe KM05)
GPU cooling, side intake fan: 200mm Bitphoenix Pro
Water cooling Flow Paths and fan connect to rads:

LOOP 1 - CPU + RAM
Res - Koolance RP452X2
Pump - 24v laing D5
Rad - Alphacool full copper UT60 240mm
(Exhaust. Pull: 200mm Bitphoenix Pro, Push: 2 x Coolermaster Excalibur 120mm @ 3.63mmH20)
CPU - XSPC Raystorm copper waterblock
Rad - Alphacool full copper XT45 120mm
(Intake. 2x Corsair SP120 high performance, high static pressure @ 3.1mm H20)
Ram - XSPC Ram block
Res (start)

LOOP 2 - 2x EVGA 780 TI SC's
Res - Koolance RP452X2 rev 2
Pump - 24v laing D5
GPU - XSPC 780 Razor waterblock + backplate
Rad - Alphacool full copper UT60 240mm
(Exhaust. 4x Coolermaster Excalibur 120mm @ 3.63mmH20)
GPU - XSPC 780 Razor waterblock + backplate
Rad - Alphacool full copper Monsta 80 240mm
(Intake. 4x Corsair SP120 high performance and static pressure @ 3.1mmH20)
Res (start)

As well as that for performance and cooling, ill be using a Dyson AM06 air multiplier next to the window, blowing at all the pc air intake fans (to allow far lower air ambient temps to be drawn in... looking forward to.testing the theory!)
For customisation, all Excalibur fans have 8 blue 5mm equally positioned around, plus 20mm fan shroud extenders with 8 leds. All xspc blocks have 4 custom wired 3mm leds as well as the res. Then 4x blue cathode lights and all internal fans have a circular piece of elwire around the fans perimeters. There's also an infinity mirror using elwire behind my initials, on the top right side of the case. There's obviously quite a lot more but I'm already conscious of waffling on about it lol. It's taken years to save up and for me, it's the kind of total 'im finished' feeling to be taken from all the combined aspects I'd say :). You should feel sorry for my Mrs! She has to hear about this almost daily! Lol. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it's a big project but it's not far off, possibly a few weeks and I'll upload the final results 🙂

Praz wrote:
Hello

Yes both of the connectors should be able to be plugged into the motherboard USB header.

Ok cool, thanks very much, so like one on top of the other? Are both levels of pins in the usb 2 internal socket then basically doing to same thing?

madcratebuilder
Level 10
Why do you need that 4 port bracket? The Crosshair has plenty of usb2 ports already. If you need more usb2 headers get one of these Internal USB expansion. I use 2 of these for all my usb cooling devices.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res