cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula RAM

Alan
Level 7
Greetings fellow ROG'ers

I'd made a few posts last year as I have an issue with my RAM. They're 16GB (4X4) GSKill Ripjaws 2133Mhz CL11 sticks. The issue was that on my V Fomula, they only ran @1600mhz. I managed to get them running at 1833(I think) but that was still under the advertised 2133Mhz - since then, I've put the BIOS back to default*

I decided to cut my losses and just be happy with what I could get out of it... but now I'm looking at upgrading to 32GB and I do want to get 2133Mhz finally too. I understand that 32GB is overkill but being honest, I've tried making my P.C as future proof/overkill as possible and this is the last part left :-(.

I'm 100% sure that other V Formula users have got RAM to the 2133Mhz and I know it'll run on the mobo. Could people offer suggestions on which products I can look at please?

Please see my signiture for my spec. Feel free to add any improvement suggestions etc. Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would like you to keep one thing in mind before you go out and invest in 32GB or ram. Your CPU (IMC) has not delivered the frequency you wanted, adding capacity will add to the stress to the IMC and there are no guaranties that you will get out what you are looking for. Not wanting to put a damper to the whole thing but just want you to go into this with your eyes open.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I would like you to keep one thing in mind before you go out and invest in 32GB or ram. Your CPU (IMC) has not delivered the frequency you wanted, adding capacity will add to the stress to the IMC and there are no guaranties that you will get out what you are looking for. Not wanting to put a damper to the whole thing but just want you to go into this with your eyes open.

Thanks HiVizMan,
Just to help my understanding please - so the frequency of the ram is in conjunction with my CPU? ... ... ... I've just done some research and found that the CPU is only rated at running the RAM frequency of 1866Mhz (which I achieved before - and was actually with your help from your guide! :D). I wrongly presumed that it'd be dependant on the Crosshair V Formula which supports 2133mhz. Thats a shame.

So if I restore my BIOS to the previous speed of 1866 then I should be within the threshold but do you think the 4x8=32GB sticks might damage my CPU?

Thank you again, for now and your help before mate,

Alan

kkn
Level 14
no it will not damage it.
its the limitation of the CPU it self, some is strong and some weak ( im not thinking of diffrent CPU's, this is the same you have ).
you never know, its may work or it may not work.
you will not see mutch diffrence on speed from 2133 to 1866 or 1600mhz ram unless its some heavy ram usage programs.
remember that its the CPU that control the ram.

Arabicuser
Level 7
Why not posting a big thread that talking about CPU/Mobo/RAM combinations for better advice and better guide? I feel lost in RAM world when i started to read many many sites, so all tests showing that different CPUs or mobos can affect on which RAM to use, and i thought if i bought 2 RAMs at same speed and same size it will have same performance and no problems whatever cpu/mobo i use, but sounds there are things about cpu that may play rules on other components when be used with.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX Titan Windforce
Patriot Viper 32GB[4x 8GB] 2133MHz
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

HiVizMan
Level 40
Arabicuser the problem with posting a big thread is that no two CPU's are the same. I can have 10 CPU's of the same model and all 10 can behave differently with the same kit of ram used with each CPU.

Alan, yeah mate it is really a lottery when it comes to CPU's and both IMC and overclockability. Right now for me, capacity in other words the total GB of ram is more valuable than the frequency that ram runs. So if you have 32GB and have it running at 1866MHz then win win. If it runs at 1600MHz Win WIn.

The days of the motherboard or chipset of the motherboard controlling the memory are gone never to be seen again it is all CPU.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks HiVizMan and kkn, your insightful views help very appreciated guys.

Arabicuser, it all seems daunting when you first start looking but don’t worry if everything seems complicated. Everyone has to learn but it doesn’t take long to get the basics and you'll gradually build on your understanding... (like I wrongly thought the RAM was dependant on the mobo)

Arabicuser wrote:
I thought if I bought 2 RAMs at same speed and same size it will have same performance and no problems whatever cpu/mobo i use, but sounds there are things about cpu that may play rules on other components when be used with.

One way of thinking that I try to adopt with computers is if you imagine a metal chain with interlocking links…
Some links in that chain could be solid steel, but one or two might be iron. If the iron can’t take the pressure and starts to bend then the steel will fail too.
Computers can become bottlenecked (which is what I explained) so personally, I try to get the best parts that my chosen MOBO & CPU can handle to try to be safe 🙂

Arabicuser
Level 7
Understood, in fact i will never buy RAM kit different to be used in same machine, all must be exact model even from same brand, still i didn't test my memories i bought [Patriot], once i test it i will see how it will perform, sure it will be fine for stock performance, but looking at and reading many many PC sites it all comes to overclocking, if i can overclock my components properly then i am a happy camper, if as you said one component failed in OC process then it may or will affect other components or at the end OC will fail to be done completely.

I hope i can get benefit of OC in video processing and games with right tools.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX Titan Windforce
Patriot Viper 32GB[4x 8GB] 2133MHz
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

Hello again,

Sorry its been a while but I have some news...

I managed to upgrade my ram the other day from
G-Skill Ripjaws 2133Mhz (@ 1800Mhz) CL11 16GB to
G-Skill Trident 1833Mhz CL8 32GB

I was really pleased that I've now got the max that I can realistically use but I have a couple of issues unfortunately.

First off, when I installed the RAM, the POST screen showed correctly, but when I went into BIOS, the MHZ is slightly lower (by about 70Mhz) for some strange reason. The bus frequency is still exactly the same so surely the MHz should still be 1800?

Secondly, when into Windows 7, my Desktop gadget and Keyboard LED performance monitor both still show the RAM as 16GB. So I went into AMD CPUID CPU-Z and AMD overdrive which both show the correct 32GB - Could I be missing a Windows update or perhaps need to change the registry maybe?

Lastly, whilst in AMD Overdrive, I ran the benchmark test and was shocked to see a reduction of 200 points! Surely, Twice the capicity, same frequency and a lot tighter cycle times would increase it? (I was expecting quite a big increase in performance... even some, I certainly didnt expect a reduction)

I must be missing something. Apologies If I've missed something obvious. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey mate good to see you again.

Nice ram.

As to the capacity, trust in CPUz do not worry about the rest.

Now what is the frequency that CPUz is seeing on the memory tab?