cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair IV Forumula & 16GB Corsair Kit

produkt-nz
Level 7
Hey guys 🙂
I am looking for some indepth technical support here. I am embarking on another upgrade path. Currently I have a PhenomII 1055t and 4gb corsair dominator on a ROG Crosshair FormulaIV.

I run a lot of virtual machines for my studies so I need a lot of ram for the next build. For the current setup I attempted to install a 16gb kit of Corsair Dominator Platnum (CMD16GX3M2A1600C9)/(2x8gb Sticks) only to find the rig is now unstable.

Spending more than 72 hours memtesting all different DIMM and DIMM slot combinations, I were getting errors from Memtest86+ (v4.20) in different places per test.
Without looking into it too much so early in the thread, in your opinion, even tho the corsair 16g kit is not on the compatibility list (why not?) would there really be that much of an issue?
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that the ram you mention is designed for the Intel platform and specifically the Z77 and/or the X79 and not for AMD.

Your CPU is the memory controller and it is two generations old. That tells me the controller may not like, or be compatible with the newer rams as it was designed with different kits and specifications. The way that voltages have changed, and how the capacity of each stick is changed in the last two years is going to impact big time. I may be way off the mark but that is my immediate thoughts.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that the ram you mention is designed for the Intel platform and specifically the Z77 and/or the X79 and not for AMD.

Your CPU is the memory controller and it is two generations old. That tells me the controller may not like, or be compatible with the newer rams as it was designed with different kits and specifications. The way that voltages have changed, and how the capacity of each stick is changed in the last two years is going to impact big time. I may be way off the mark but that is my immediate thoughts.

Yeah yuo're immediate thoughts are valid.

I bought the 16gb kit in preparation for an Asus Z77 Sabertooth and a i5-3770k or whatevercpuisbestatthemoment=_+
I've been with AMD for the past 10 years so I'm showing my noobness I guess.

As for the ram...? Specifically for an intel platform? My interpretation was it was compatible and best suited for an XMP compatibility motherboard. That doesn't tell me that it wont work anywhere else.... *_*