cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crosshair hero VIII out of the box too high Vcore voltage

frozen_sun
Level 7
Asus,
I have this board and ask around,out of the box,it's giving in other opinions too high voltage to my 3900X.
So I had to lower voltage manually to 1.2 V.
I haven't update the BIOS because I use not compatible memory modules with this board,and so far everything works normally,and if it works why touch it.
So I'm affraid that updating BIOS to most recent one could mess around with my memory and cause some issues.
That is why I haven't updated the BIOS, I'm on 0704version I think.
But how do we resolve this too high voltage giving to 3900X.
Is it possible without updating BIOS?
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

This is normal behaviour for Ryzen Precision Boost upward of up to 1.5v The CPU needs this much voltage in some instances to maintain frequency and adapts to high current loads accordingly.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

This is normal behaviour for Ryzen Precision Boost upward of up to 1.5v The CPU needs this much voltage in some instances to maintain frequency and adapts to high current loads accordingly.

Hmm so 1.4 V is perfectly normal for 3900X?
A lot of people mentioning that voltage is not safe and leads to chip degradation over time.

frozen_sun wrote:
Hmm so 1.4 V is perfectly normal for 3900X?
A lot of people mentioning that voltage is not safe and leads to chip degradation over time.

Yes, the vcore is normal. Flash to the latest UEFI if looking for the latest AGESA from AMD
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

These are my settings out of the box.
Are they okay?