cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Hyper M.2 X16 V2 Card

Bannon
Level 7
I just built a system around the PRIME X570-Pro motherboard and have two Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSDs that run hot according to the Samsung Magician. Idle temps are in the low to mid 50s and I've seen them climb into the 60s. The one with the highest temps is above the GPU without a heatsink and the cooler one (by only a couple degrees) is under the built in heatsink. While these are still under the peak operating temperature of 70, I'm not comfortable with that so I'm considering the Hyper M.2 X16 card. I have only one GPU so I think I can put the Hyper card in the other X16 slot with the two drives. I have a few questions though:

1. Can one of the drives in the Hyper card be my system drive and bootable?
2. What if any BIOS settings do I need to change?
3. Can I simply move the two drives into the Hyper card without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks in advance for your help.
2 REPLIES 2

Maiaibing
Level 7
Bannon wrote:
I just built a system around the PRIME X570-Pro motherboard and have two Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSDs that run hot according to the Samsung Magician. Idle temps are in the low to mid 50s and I've seen them climb into the 60s. The one with the highest temps is above the GPU without a heatsink and the cooler one (by only a couple degrees) is under the built in heatsink. While these are still under the peak operating temperature of 70, I'm not comfortable with that so I'm considering the Hyper M.2 X16 card. I have only one GPU so I think I can put the Hyper card in the other X16 slot with the two drives. I have a few questions though:

1. Can one of the drives in the Hyper card be my system drive and bootable?
2. What if any BIOS settings do I need to change?
3. Can I simply move the two drives into the Hyper card without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buy a 8$ heat sink for the M.2 SSD without a cooler and save yourself the aggravation. They will do just fine.

Hyper card is really best for setting up a large single drive letter m.2 drive with Raid 0 so you can get a 8tb drive if you do a lot of video etc.

Maiaibing wrote:
Buy a 8$ heat sink for the M.2 SSD without a cooler and save yourself the aggravation. They will do just fine.

Hyper card is really best for setting up a large single drive letter m.2 drive with Raid 0 so you can get a 8tb drive if you do a lot of video etc.

Thank you for getting back with me. I'll most likely use a heatsink as you suggested.

Thanks again.