cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility for SLI

Vlinkz
Level 7
I'm still kinda unclear about the SLI thing. There's a new card for the 1080s which runs up to 11k MHz. So if I were to run SLI with the older version which runs up to 10k MHz; would it work out just fine??? The same 1080s but just a small difference. Might be a stewpid question to ask but pls don't mind this newbie... =3

I did try to look it up but I'm outta ideas on asking the google to start digging for my answers so I ended up asking here... ^_^
2 REPLIES 2

NemesisChild
Level 12
The cards must have the same GPU chip for SLI to work.
In other words, you can pair 1080 with 1080's and 1070 with 1070's but not a 1080 + 1070.
If you run them at stock, both cards will run at the slowest speed of the two cards.

Another thing, make sure that both have the exact same amount of memory.
Some of the former higher end GTX models were offered with more memory than the reference cards.
Not sure if Nvidia is still doing this with Pascal but just a heads up in case they are.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
The cards must have the same GPU chip for SLI to work.
In other words, you can pair 1080 with 1080's and 1070 with 1070's but not a 1080 + 1070.
If you run them at stock, both cards will run at the slowest speed of the two cards.

Another thing, make sure that both have the exact same amount of memory.
Some of the former higher end GTX models were offered with more memory than the reference cards.
Not sure if Nvidia is still doing this with Pascal but just a heads up in case they are.

I guess I'll just on the Nvidia forums about it. Just wanna know if there would be an issue if I were to get the higher memory one to run SLI with the older 1080.

Thanks!