cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check build and help choose mobo

jellyjello
Level 7
I've been using a laptop to game for the past couple years and I decided that now would be a good time to build my first desktop computer!

I have chosen most parts after reading and watching reviews. My budget is around $1200 for the whole build. I have already gotten the CPU, case, and hard drive, so it brings my total for the rest of the parts down to about $800. I am mainly buying from Amazon, Outlet pc, and Newegg. I used PC Parts Picker to help choose the lowest prices and such. My parts are listed below and I would like to know what you guys think of it.

I plan on overclocking pretty much from the beginning. Now that brings up my mobo decision.

I need help choosing the motherboard for my build. I would be using this for gaming, programming, video editing, and other day to day things. I am stuck between the Crossfire V Formula Z and the Sabertooth 990fx R2. I have watched and read reviews of both boards, and I still can't decide which would be best. So which would you go with?

Here are the parts I plan on using.

And what I already have:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 ($180)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM ($90)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ($110)

What I don't have (prices at time of edit):
CPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H2O 920 (Amazon: $78)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 (Newegg: $63)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (Amazon: $260)
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze semi-modular (Amazon: $86)

I was also planning on getting a PCI wireless adaptor (around $25) and a dvd drive ($20).

I know that the parts I still need to get add up to under $800, and I was thinking about a better graphics card or better keyboard with the extra money.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

kkn
Level 14
i would personaly look in to a bit larger PSU, but thats me.
the formula-z is made for the 8*** series AMD CPU, but you can use the sabretooth too.
its only a bios upgrade that makes a diffrence on them ( in my opinnion ) but sabretooth have 5 years waranty ( look in specs to be 100% shure ).
the formula is more made for hard core users and OC'ers and have bether parts on it.
i have the formula ( non z ) in a server ( i was using it as main PC over a year ago before going INTEL ).
its a good board i will not deny that.
but i cant say mutch about the sabretooth since ive not tested or used it.

IF for gaming only, and IF you have the monney.
look in to 1 or 2 ssd's if they are in your price range.
1 OS ( 128gig minimum and put large files on HDD ) and 1 games ( 128 gig and put games you use the most on this and the others on HDD if interested ).
or you can add ssd to it down the road after getting more monney.

so in a way you need: monitor, mouse and keyboard, motherboard, headset or speakers??
can you list a online store you are gona buy it from ( unless local store ) ?

kkn wrote:
i would personaly look in to a bit larger PSU, but thats me.
the formula-z is made for the 8*** series AMD CPU, but you can use the sabretooth too.
its only a bios upgrade that makes a diffrence on them ( in my opinnion ) but sabretooth have 5 years waranty ( look in specs to be 100% shure ).
the formula is more made for hard core users and OC'ers and have bether parts on it.
i have the formula ( non z ) in a server ( i was using it as main PC over a year ago before going INTEL ).
its a good board i will not deny that.
but i cant say mutch about the sabretooth since ive not tested or used it.

IF for gaming only, and IF you have the monney.
look in to 1 or 2 ssd's if they are in your price range.
1 OS ( 128gig minimum and put large files on HDD ) and 1 games ( 128 gig and put games you use the most on this and the others on HDD if interested ).
or you can add ssd to it down the road after getting more monney.

so in a way you need: monitor, mouse and keyboard, motherboard, headset or speakers??
can you list a online store you are gona buy it from ( unless local store ) ?

I was thinking about getting a 750W psu, but most people I talked to said that it was overkill for the build I had in mind.
The sabertooth does have a 5 year warranty (in compared to the formula's 3 years). That is one of the reasons I am stuck between the 2.

I was planning on getting an SSD later for the OS. For the monitor I already have an asus 22 inch lcd I use as a second screen for my laptop. and for now I'll use a generic Microsoft usb keyboard and wireless logitec mouse until I can get new ones (or use extra money for an upgrade on the keyboard). For speakers I have a set of wired logitec speakers I use.

And I'll post the online stores I'm getting them from in the original post.

jellyjello wrote:
I was thinking about getting a 750W psu, but most people I talked to said that it was overkill for the build I had in mind.
The sabertooth does have a 5 year warranty (in compared to the formula's 3 years). That is one of the reasons I am stuck between the 2.

I was planning on getting an SSD later for the OS. For the monitor I already have an asus 22 inch lcd I use as a second screen for my laptop. and for now I'll use a generic Microsoft usb keyboard and wireless logitec mouse until I can get new ones (or use extra money for an upgrade on the keyboard). For speakers I have a set of wired logitec speakers I use.

And I'll post the online stores I'm getting them from in the original post.

A 620W PSU i enough for the setup above. I have a 600W PSU on a pretty powerful system. If you are planning a massive overclock on both CPU and GPU i would consider a bigger PSU. Going for a bigger PSU will also allow you to upgrade to a multi-GPU later without worring about your PSU.

So in other words;
If you plan a massive overclock (GPU and CPU) or a SLI configuration in the future go for a 700W+ PSU
If not, go for the 620W. It's enough.

Intel Core i7 3820

ASUS P9X79

ASUS GTX 670 DCII

Kingston HyperX 16GB

Corsair CX600

H100 w/Nanoxia FX-EVO

Intel 330 SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

CM Storm Stryker

MetaHD wrote:
A 620W PSU i enough for the setup above. I have a 600W PSU on a pretty powerful system. If you are planning a massive overclock on both CPU and GPU i would consider a bigger PSU. Going for a bigger PSU will also allow you to upgrade to a multi-GPU later without worring about your PSU.

So in other words;
If you plan a massive overclock (GPU and CPU) or a SLI configuration in the future go for a 700W+ PSU
If not, go for the 620W. It's enough.

I do plan on overclocking the CPU and the GPU, not a ton though (CPU maybe up to 5GHz but probably not that high). I do want to SLI another card down the road. I guess 620W would be enough b/c I just checked the estimate voltage for all the parts and it's around 400 with just the parts and either mobo.

kkn
Level 14
the 770 will pull around 200W on it self, but slacking in the PSU its not a good thing to do.
over time it will degrade and it will not handle the power draw and in the end it can fail on you.
for each fan, hdd++ added it will pull extra ( no matter what calc you use ), even a fan controller can pull as mutch as 50W per chann if you had one of those.
how old is you PSU??

kkn wrote:
the 770 will pull around 200W on it self, but slacking in the PSU its not a good thing to do.
over time it will degrade and it will not handle the power draw and in the end it can fail on you.
for each fan, hdd++ added it will pull extra ( no matter what calc you use ), even a fan controller can pull as mutch as 50W per chann if you had one of those.
how old is you PSU??

Are you ****** A fan controller will not pull 50W per channel. Even the heaviest high-rpm fans on the market does'nt pull more than about 15W and if you put three of those on a single fan controller channel you should'nt be allowed to own a pc.

edit Hivizman: Please select your words with greater sensitivity to others who might have challenges.

Intel Core i7 3820

ASUS P9X79

ASUS GTX 670 DCII

Kingston HyperX 16GB

Corsair CX600

H100 w/Nanoxia FX-EVO

Intel 330 SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

CM Storm Stryker

MetaHD wrote:
Are you *******? A fan controller will not pull 50W per channel. Even the heaviest high-rpm fans on the market does'nt pull more than about 15W and if you put three of those on a single fan controller channel you should'nt be allowed to own a pc.

i typed CAN pull that mutch. ( depending on the controller )

kkn wrote:

how old is you PSU??

I haven't ordered the PSU yet, so it would be new when I get it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
MetaHD please refrain from using terms that are derogatory. We have folks from all walks of life and some have unique challenges. Three of our members have pm'd me that they find the term you used offensive due to their special needs.

Thank you.

OP - your PSU will be fine for now. If you plan on any further upgrade then as the others have both suggested it would be advisable to use a larger PSU.

I would rather spend money on a VGA than on a Keyboard to be honest, but then I am quite happy using a cheapo gaming keyboard.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.