cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building my render/gaming rig. - Advices needed

Tenshi
Level 7
Hi guys,

I need an advice for my future gaming/render rig. Recently i read a lot of bad feedback for the motherboard i wanna buy, and i need a more realistic approach and comments, this will help me decide. I don't know a lot of computers just the basics, don't plan to overclocked the system and such, just connected the devices and start working/playing.

I plan to buy this:

-Crosshair V Formula/ThunderBolt
-Corsair Vengeance® — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
-AMD FX-8150 FX 8-Core Black Edition Processor

I already have an nvidia 470GTX(which sometime in the future i will change for their warm up issues ._.) but for now i will stay with that. The machine will be use as a decent workstation, for playing games, make 3D renders, and design work.

So what do you think? I mostly need advices if any of those components will gave me troubles(hardware/software) and how to solve them.
Aside of that if do you think i will need a water cooling solution for any of those?
and at last, i read a lot of bad comments for buying that motherboard, mostly for manufacturer issues. Those are true? i mean there's a % of damaged hardware, but if there's more people complaining is ..because something is happening; so what are your thoughts.

I really appreciate your feedback guys, thanks a lot!

Tenshi.
89 REPLIES 89

Disclaimer: I have no experience in this field.
Removing heatsinks may be possible, if you are careful.
Copper is a better heat conductor, so that is likely the better choice.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yes mate, those modules will fit perfectly if you are unable to return the ones you currently have. And I would have to agree with Zygomorphic, Copper is a better conductor of heat. You can't blame Corsair for the D Latch locking mechanism, it's AMD entirely since they are the ones who create the sockets and the system used to lock the fans into place, P.I.T.A I know. And yeah, maybe I shouldn't have told you about the possibility of damaging the CPU, but since I learnt it the hard way first hand, I figured it would be only right to tell you one possibility. When you lock it down, just take your time and try not to get too carried away with it.

Tenshi
Level 7
Well, thanks to both of you!

I'll go with the Copper heatsinks then. Any brand? or it doesn't matter? I plan to buy those at ebay. I think i'm the only one who will do this "heatsinks change" in the world, right? xD

The other plan is to fix my airflow, the Fans. Any thoughts? Brands?

Myk SilentShadow, haha don't worry, i'll try to do it gently, even if i'm scared.

I'll post updates and pictures when the copper arrives, with luck at my country would be like 10-20 days xD

LukeeVassallo
Level 7
I wouldn't go with the corsair ax850, don't get me wrong it's a great psu but if you with a pc power and cooling 750W, 80+ silver, it's cheaper, enough wattage ( even for 2 cards in sli or crossfire ) and it's more efficient than the ax850. Pc power and cooling have me doing psu's for the last 30 years whilst corsair for the last 4-5 years.

It's worth a look 🙂
| Maximus V Formula | i7-3770k | 16Gb Dominator Platinum | GTX 780 | Force 240Gb | 2TB Caviar Green | Obsidian 650D | AX850 | H100 | 24" LED VS247H |

LukeeVassallo wrote:
I wouldn't go with the corsair ax850, don't get me wrong it's a great psu but if you with a pc power and cooling 750W, 80+ silver, it's cheaper, enough wattage ( even for 2 cards in sli or crossfire ) and it's more efficient than the ax850. Pc power and cooling have me doing psu's for the last 30 years whilst corsair for the last 4-5 years.

It's worth a look 🙂

Thanks, but i think you misunderstood my questions jeje, don't worry. I was talking about fans from my case.
About that PSU, i have that, the corsair ax850, i bought a while ago. Thank you anyway.

Tenshi
Level 7
Hi guys!
Updated on my rig. But with more questions and i need help, because I'm starting to get crazy with this. Urgent! 😞

So, i put the Corsair A50 to my Fx-8150, changing the heatsinks from 2 slots.

The first time i power on the computer temperature was 36C. Then after i reset, went to 40-42C. After looking around, resetting again was 40C-41, stable.

Ok, so i tried to test how much heat i can handle, because, before for games it went like 60Celcius in 1-2minutes. Now for 1-2 minutes, it stays between 48-52/53C.

But between playing Battlefield 3 (2-5minutes); i get several warnings, like the one in the image; i felt the top intake and was hot. Most of the warning were for "voltage", so that's something that's freak in me out and scared me, i don't know if my machine it's gonna explode; i Thought the Corsair A50 will be better than the default stock cooler; but.. i get high temperatures, too; and the same warnings.

I don't understand what the heck it's happening, i can't play any game just for this, because i'm worried. Neither 3d renders i think; so.. Tell me, somebody knows what is happening??? How can i fixed this? I don't have more money -_- .

Look at the image with the Fans/RPM. Is that a good set up?

Please help me 😞

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Your temps are fine, so please calm yourself down lol. Oh and by the way..do not use both HWMonitor and AISuite at the same time...that is what causes the voltage warning errors in AISuite. Delete AISuite, it's not needed 🙂

Also note, the system looks good mate. The only way you could get cooler CPU temps, would be liquid cooling - say a closed loop system, but from what I remember you dont have the money for it...so rest easy and don't forget, the temps on the CPU are indicated by the ambient temps inside the case and wherever you have the case stored 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Your temps are fine, so please calm yourself down lol. Oh and by the way..do not use both HWMonitor and AISuite at the same time...that is what causes the voltage warning errors in AISuite. Delete AISuite, it's not needed 🙂

Myk SIlentShadow; First, thank you for being around and the advices.

About the temps, ok. Look; this is what i don't understand. Before of this, i had a Phenom III, with the same case, stock fans(very low rpm and quiet,), same gpu, ddr2 and other mobo. When i played Battlefield 3 with those, i never, but i mean never have a overheat problem or warning. But now that i had the 8150, better cpu solution, better mobo, same gpu, same case, better case fans that took more hot airflow away from the inside. I Can't play it ! Because of those warnings for temperature and voltage. So what the Fu.. !! I don't understand that. It's supposed to be better in fact my cable management is better than before(or the best i could do), So why? Tell me why i had more overheat and warnings for the first time -_- , i have original BF3 and i can't played since April, =/ . I don't live in the Sahara, i had the same ambient temperatures, in fact i have more airflow/space in my room than before, so why in this planet everything is not going as it's supposed to go.

About the HwMonitor, and AI Suite, i start playing a few minutes and i have opened the AISuite only;, but when i began to see those warning i close the game and open the HwMonitor. So.. AiSuite and Hwmonitor had conflict even if its not open? Or the Aisuite is lying to me about those warnings? Why i have to delete it? Tell me..
Or maybe my PSU is not working correctly or had to much thing connected?(if you want a list of the things i have let me know)

About a better cooling solution, Yes. I plan to buy a better one, but now i don't have money; maybe in 6months.
This is what i plan to buy in the coming months:
- Corsair H100i,
- 2 more Rosewill 120mm/2200RPM for the Top,(the ones i have are better than stock but not excellent)
- 1 140mm with better RPM for the front,
- and maybe 2 80mm, to replace all the stock fans i have left in the case.

That's the only thing i could do, in the coming months, the H100i will be the last thing xD i don't have a job now.

chrsplmr Sweet .. No offense to Asus .. but I had to uninstall that long ago for the same reasons ..
Mostly on coming out of sleep mode .. but anytime really . As Myk said .. looks good ...

Thank you, yes i love my computer too, i just want not being worried about the heat/warnings any more )=

Sorry for my bad grammar, and i'm not whining or something, is just that i don't understand this change from Phenom III to Fx-8150. Any clue?

chrsplmr
Level 18
Sweet .. No offense to Asus .. but I had to uninstall that long ago for the same reasons ..
Mostly on coming out of sleep mode .. but anytime really ..
As Myk said .. looks good ...

Lock and Load. GAME ON.c.

Tenshi
Level 7
Guys besides my other questions, i have a few more.
I'm not a computer Guru, and i don't want to do Overclocking, just want to stay at default always, but.. I noticed something that intrigued me, look this captures(are in spanish), look the

Why the CPU Is running at: Frequency 3913, and not 3600????? :eek:
Does that mean that it's overclocked? If that it, that will explain why is so freaking hot, i don't want to overclock, just stay at default; i check AMD page for comparison, and 8150, runs at frequency 3.6/4.2 GHz, there's a way to put the default 3.6 and stay with that in windows?
Thanks,

Update: looking around in amd forums, i notice some guy mention how to solved overheat problems with the 8150, and well it's simple. TURBO CORE!!!! . Believe me i don't know how the heck the turbo core changed to auto!! I didn't do anything, damn! This is why i'm getting all this hot from the cpu! You see i wasn't lying, it was really odd all the heat.

So I fixed that in the uefi, and it seems better right now, not excellent but at least now i can try playing BF3 to test it. But now i have another question, i noticed a lot of values in the Uefi were in "Auto" , it would be wise to look at the mobo manual and changed all those values to standard green manually?